Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea 81 help

hey guys,

here a picture of my gyrocopter. on the back i have a ea81 with a weber carb on it. problem is when flying at certain temps the carb developes ice and stops the flow of gas!!!! ( not good a 1500 feet ha ha ha ) . question can i put efi on my ea81 that would stop the carb ice. would a ea82 efi fit it and where might a find it and a ecu. thank ben IM000807.JPGIM000805.JPG

Ben, I fixed your links, I hope you don't mind

Nice looking Gyro!!

As for the fuel icing problem.

Well the K.I.S.S. solution would be to add an exhaust "furnace" to heat the intake air when ness. (I bet that thing makes a nice rumble as no muffler is visable) And remove any heat block plate between the carb and manifold (which is heated by coolant flow).

The EA81 is used in many areo apps so this must work.

The FI solution is doable. There are two forms of FI on our vintage Subys. The Multiport or MPFI requires the use of two port heads. The SPFI or Single Port (same as a throttle body injection) in use on EA82 engines would fit onto your EA81. The manifold has the same spacing. This would as you said require a "brain" or ECU as they are known. You would also need it's various sensors and a fuel injection fuel pump. Best bet on getting one - a boneyard or a post on the market place for someone dismantling a SPFI car. Hope this helps and I believe you will get more support for this.