Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 tacoma 4x4 VS 80's Dodge Cummins turbo diesel 4x4

Uberoo

I was looking at an 81 toyota 4x4 until I realized it was a total pile.The body was almost entirly rusted away.So I looked elsewhere.I recieved a tip of a 95 tacoma 4x4 for sale.It has 167000 miles on it but 145000 of those were it being towed behind a motor home.It is super clean,and really nice.The manual hubs are really stiff indicating it has never been in 4x4,thus never beat on. that one is 5400 but I was able to talk them down to 5000 cash.I was out wondering around today and I saw a late 80's dodge CUMMINS turbo diesel regular cab pickup 4x4 for sale for 3000.Which would be a better buy when I plan to use either vehicle to go offroad?Mud and trail running mostly

PROS for toyota-low milliage,good MPG,Very nice,never been beat on,good all around rig

Cons- lift kits are expensive unless I want a body kit.

PROs for dodge- diesel power,decent economy,possiblity to run on WVO

Cons-diesel engine is heavy as all hell-so the front end will sink in mud requireing lots of power/agressive tires to get get out

I think Im gonna go with the cummins.my dad hates the japanese cars,because they started ww2 to get supplies and we gave them supplies...(he is contributining most of the funds...)But in either case he likes dodges and the fact that it is a diesel puts the icing on the cake...Now I will see if I can find some tractor tires 33-35" tall on a 15,16,0r 16.5 Rim..Then it shouldnt get stuck even with the heavy front end.

TAcos aren't bad, they can be converted to diesel with parts from Japan, although the Cummins is way more useful! I've wheeled mine before (92 ext cab long bed) and although it's a bit long, I had no trouble keeping up with my friends's Chevy. Also the heavy front end is nice cuz although it does have a tendency to dig, it also gets pretty good traction in snow, I spent 2 winters with it in Wyoming :-)

(Also, a lot of Japanese stuff, especially Toyota, is built in the USA, with American labor...)

• 2 weeks later...

Your dad can hate on the Japanese cars all he likes. Tell him to look around and count how many 10 year old or older dodges he can in a week. Then do the same thing with 10 year or older Toyotas.

Not that the Toyota V6 is worth a crap though. . .

With 5 grand, you should be able to find a 2200 dollar Toy that runs that you can add 2500 bucks worth of fix-up and tires to. You'll still have 3 hun left over for gas. :clap:

You could probably talk this guy down,

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/car/455185060.html

BAM! You can afford air fare, and gas back home with this one.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/car/455095214.html

You can afford a rental truck, trailer and gas round trip.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/car/454978031.html

Don't just grab someting cuz it's all that's available. Shop.

I resent that, which V6 are you talking about the 5vz-fe? I HOPE NOT!

I still dont know why people arnt over the war yet, I understand that pearl harbor was super un cool, they sunk my states ship for goodness sakes :mad:, but we kissed and made up since then :) so, tell your dad to give you the money (haha) and go buy a whatever car you want. the dodge is a good truck, although I have heard otherwise with their diesels, the toyota is un defeatable though, you can not kill it.

I think Im gonna go with the cummins.my dad hates the japanese cars

I really get a "chuckle" out of inane comments like this.

Hint:

Cummins is a worldwide company, maybe it started in Britain (your dad doesn't "hate" Brits, does he?), but their manufacturing is worldwide. Many the time I have removed a Cummins component, just to see a "made in Japan" stamped on it, or cast into it, give me a break from your "small minded BS".

Cummins business units:

* U.S. and Canada

o Cummins Atlantic

o Cummins Bridgeway, LLC

o Cummins Cal Pacific, LLC

o Cummins Central Power, LLC

o Cummins Crosspoint, LLC

o Cummins Eastern Canada

o Cummins Metro Power

o Cummins Mid-South, LLC

o Cummins Northeast, Inc.

o Cummins Northwest, LLC.

o Cummins NPower, LLC

o Cummins Power Systems, Inc.

o Cummins Power South

o Cummins Rocky Mountain, LLC

o Cummins Southern Plains, LTD

o Cummins West, Inc.

o Cummins Western Canada

* Latin America

* Brazil

* Europe

o Cummins Adriatic (Croatia)

o Cummins Austria GmbH

o Cummins Belgium

o Cummins Czech Republic

o Cummins Diesel Deutschland GmbH

o Cummins UK

o Cummins Diesel SA (France)

o Cummins Diesel Sales & Service A/S (Denmark)

o Cummins Holland

o Cummins Hungary

o Cummins Italia S.p.A.

o Cummins Norway A.S.

o Cummins Diesel Engine Company Limited Swedish Filial

o Cummins Ventas y Servico S. A. (Spain)

o Machinery OY Ltd. (Finland)

* Africa

o Cummins South Africa

* Middle East

* East Asia

* India

o Cummins India Ltd. (CIL)

o Cummins Sales & Service (India) Ltd. (CS&S(I))

* Northeast/Southeast Asia

o Cummins Japan

o Cummins Diesel Sales & Service Korea Ltd.

o Cummins Philippines

* South Pacific

The B, C and L series engines are manufactured in numerous plants across the world.

And that is what you are buying, a Cummins "B", OH! daddy isn't gonna like that!

and to build off the what the last post says, toyotas are put together here in the states. i had the opertunity to get a job where they assemble them in california. i'm sure they assemble them in other parts of the country also.

and yes the v6 engines that they built while they were using the 2.7L 4cyl, did suck. the 4cyl had more power and pep.

The 3 liter V6 liked to eat head gaskets from what the master tech at work says, but the later 3 liter that takes 5W-30 oil isn't as bad, and the 3.4 liter V6 is pretty good, but I don't know a whole lot about Yotas other than the 22R is a pain in the butt to do an oil change on cuz of where they put the stinkin oil filter...

You haven't driven a tacoma V6, have you? The 3.4 is a totally different motor than the 3.sl0. Put a TRD supercharger on the 3.4 and you've got something special. The 22r isn't any better when it comes to headgaskets, my uncle sold his 4runner after replacing the 3rd headgasket in 150k miles. I've seen a headgasket manufacturer advertising their special coated gasket that will hold even in the 22r.

As much as a toyota person as I am (01 excab Taco 3.4 5spd 4x4), I'd have to say go for the dodge. It's got solid axles front and rear, so it will articulate better, it's built stronger because its a 250 chassis, you can upgrade the hubs. The 727 tranny if its and auto is a big block tranny, plenty strong. Oh, and visit http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm

for some tips on the diesel's power potential.

The 22r isn't any better when it comes to headgaskets, my uncle sold his 4runner after replacing the 3rd headgasket in 150k miles. I've seen a headgasket manufacturer advertising their special coated gasket that will hold even in the 22r.

Whatever. There's an 82 toy with the 22r that's been in my family for more than 10 years. Still on the same head gasket. My 22re has been going strong for the 2 + years I've owned it.

Two friends of mine had head gaskets go on their forerunners 3 times each. Both sporting the V6, 89 and 94 model years.

You're going way out there though, comparing 25 year old motors to <10 year old motors.

a 95 tacoma 4x4 for sale.

Not that the Toyota V6 is worth a crap though..

Any 1995-2004 tacoma with a v6 has the 3.4, so the 3.sl0 that you dislike wasn't ever a factor in Tacomas. So telling Uberoo that a tacoma V6 isn't worth a crap is BS.

The 22re was the compatriot to the 3.sl0, so comparing the headgasket issues of both of them is perfectly apropriate.

Saying all yota V6's are crap is like bashing on EJxx's for having 5 main bearings... Yeah, mabe the 3.4 has moved away from the simplicity of a carbed 22r, but it's just as reliable with more power to boot.

The only reason I blew a head gasket in my old 88 toy was because I overheated the living crap out of it. The ones with 22r from the factory were stronger than the 3.0 trucks also. 3.0 got weak chain driven t-case and the tranny's weren't so hot either. 22r trucks got the gear driver t-cases and those gear driver units are about indistructable.