Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help identifying pop/click

Sounds like it - especially with the cornering you mentioned. look for torn boots - those help give away which side is bad. If there are no torn boots, it's pretty hard to tell in my experience which is bad. I usually just pick one, and then drive it a bit before returning my core in case I have to swap em around.

GD

Not likily, it really sounds like the CV's, when they go bad they do what you discribed... one way to check wheel bearings is to jack the car up and see if theres much play when ya try to "wiggle" the tire or hub. Check the tire for any possible uneven wear, Also make sure that if their is play, it's only going to be a wheel bearing if Only the hub/wheel have play, if the whole arm moves, then it's probably a bad suspention bushing. But the popping and clicking difinataly sounds like CV's. Bearings make other horrible sounds, they're first noticible over speed bumps and other large bumps. Especially at speeds above 25mph.:D Hope this helps:-)

If it were bearings it wouldn't go away when you press in the clutch. The clicking you are hearing is the bearing casing when it hits the DOJ, with grease in there, it doesnt click... when they are dry, they click... when the CV siezes, your car will shake like the front end was falling apart.

When You press in the clutch, there is nothing forcing the CV to turn, therefore the bearing casing doesnt slam into the DOJ causing the click.

Bearings also tend to create a type of grinding sound, and the sound will change due to weight transfer over the effected bearings.

-Brian

Originally posted by TheSubaruJunkie

The clicking you are hearing is the bearing casing when it hits the DOJ, with grease in there, it doesnt click... when they are dry, they click... when the CV siezes, your car will shake like the front end was falling apart.

my car does feel like the front end is coming apart. when a CV seizes, it's pretty obvious, right?

how bad has it been, you can take it off and put new grease in there, as long as you know the cv joint is burned up. The inner joj will wobble on accelleraton, especieally when accelerating out of a turn.

you can take it off, and disassemble the DOJ and re grease it an dput a new boot on it.

taking it apart enough is good to grease the bearing, if there is enough boot left *most* of the grease will stay in there.

you can get some boots for not too much, aside from that, all it costs you is a day in the garage.

it will last you a good while if everything checks out ok

Its alot less time consuming to just replace it with a reman CV. CV's can be had between $50 to $75, depending on where. Tip: Kragen/Schucks/Checkers auto will beat anybody's price by 5% so call around and get some prices, then call Kragen and let them know... i get CV's for about $52ea with a lifetime warranty.

-Brian

went snowboarding today and drove a little into the backcountry. got stuck once. i brought gear so we were out in a matter of minutes. coming down, i hit 115. new best for my wagon:banana: . it seemed to stop shaking so badly at around 100-105. he he.

would this CV explain why my car shakes like parkinson's above 45 or so? tires haven't been balanced since i rotated them last week.

Well its a real good place to start since you need a new CV joint. You understand you need a new CV and yet you are going 115. You are braver than I.You had yuor tires balanced how about the wheels. Just kidding. Get a reman shaft it is the quickest and easiest way to go in my opinion if it still vibrates Im sure one of the rally smart(not me) members on this great board will be able and willing to send you in the right direction.You are in Casper huh well if your ever in the area of Rapid City post me and maybe we could go hit some trails in the hills

i plan on going up to hit the rally next year. if you're still on the board, we could get together with the other so-daks and go camping/4wheeling. i've got a buddy from alabama and he has his heart set on hittin up the rally.

find some trails and keep me posted. i love to drive through the hills, but i don't know any backcountry type stuff up there.

Yeah, a shaking wheel is a common sign of a failing CV. And usually the final signs before they sieze on you. You can tell if its a CV when it feels like the wheel is being jerked from your hands, instead of just a tire wobbling.

It will get more severe when it goes, and I wouldnt recommend traveling at 100mph+ when it does.

-Brian