Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I'm in the process of pulling parts off of the 98 Lego at the moment and I'm at a point where I'm not sure what to do. I've been more or less following the Haynes manual :confused: and it tells you to remove the whole rear knuckle to remove the rear axles. Is there a better way? I know the control arm bolts are going to be a royal pain in the butt and I'm doing this without air tools. A search only comes up with front end removal techniques so any help here would be appreciated.

Hi. I haven't done a rear axle yet. I think your choices are to somehow get the bearing housing to drop down far enough to extract the axle (not sure how much removing the strut bolts and maybe the sway bar link would get you; that's a normal way to do the front anyway). Or drop down the rear diff, but that might not be the most efficacious route either.

Yeah I started with detatching the struts and sway bar but soon came to the conclusion that you just dont gain enough room without detaching the lateral links. I wanted to save as much as possible either for my personal spare parts box or to offer to the members here, but got frustrated and said "f**k it!" and cut the lateral links and tailing arm. I saved the axles and rear diff. it needs to go into the OB before snow flies. not having awd drive sux! So i'll keep pluging away at it and in a month or so the stripped carcass will be off to the scrap yard. Thanks for getting back to me though. Its a solace in my mind to know if I have problems I cant figure myself there is a wealth of info from members on the board!