Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Toyota Camry lurching on acceleration

Howdy folks,

I haven't posted this question on any Toyota forums yet... I trust you guys and I'm curious to see what ideas you might have first.

My dad's car:

1998 Toyota Camry LE (4 cyl, auto trans), 122,000 miles.

He recently purchased it from a co-worker. My mom is the primary one who drives it, but only uses it a few times a week, for pretty short distances. While visiting my parents in Iowa my wife and I drove this car, and discovered it has a goofy lurch.

Typical situation:

Sitting at a stop light/sign, push on accelerator, then the car hesitates and lurches. This doesn't happen every time, but it is often enough (maybe 25% or more of the time) that it is a concern. It only happens from a stop (i.e. at very low speeds).

The engine has actually quit on a couple of these situations.

I've changed the plugs and wires, and I have a new fuel filter, but I have not installed it yet.

Any other ideas of things to check?

Thanks!

Check the fuel pressure, and check the TPS with an analog voltmeter. If the needle is anything other than smooth and steady as the throttle is opened, replace the TPS.

If the pump is on it's way out with reduced fuel pressure, you can get similar results.

Another thing is the air bypass solenoid/idle air controller. If this is gummed up, it can cause similar issues as well.

Dumb question, but is there a CEL, any codes, or other issues like low idle, poor mileage, etc?

Check the fuel pressure, and check the TPS with an analog voltmeter. If the needle is anything other than smooth and steady as the throttle is opened, replace the TPS.

If the pump is on it's way out with reduced fuel pressure, you can get similar results.

Another thing is the air bypass solenoid/idle air controller. If this is gummed up, it can cause similar issues as well.

Dumb question, but is there a CEL, any codes, or other issues like low idle, poor mileage, etc?

No codes, the idle seems normal. The mileage seems a little low (if I remember right, it was 24, mostly highway).

Thanks for the tips guys, that'll keep me busy for a while.;)

• 3 weeks later...

The rest of the story:

While trying to replace the fuel filter, the lower fitting got jammed. I didn't have the time or tools to fix it right, so my dad brought it back into the shop. They fixed the fuel filter, and they had major problems with the lurching, etc. They did some snooping around, and, if I understood them correctly, one of the plugs into the ECU was partially disconnected.

It drives fine now, and they charged us a very reasonable amount of labor for the whole repair... so I have no reason to second-guess the validity.

Who would have guessed?

The rest of the story:

While trying to replace the fuel filter, the lower fitting got jammed. I didn't have the time or tools to fix it right, so my dad brought it back into the shop. They fixed the fuel filter, and they had major problems with the lurching, etc. They did some snooping around, and, if I understood them correctly, one of the plugs into the ECU was partially disconnected.

It drives fine now, and they charged us a very reasonable amount of labor for the whole repair... so I have no reason to second-guess the validity.

Who would have guessed?

hehe they may have thought that they did it :)

nipper