Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cleaning an engine on a stand

I would say if you can get the engine to a wash rack or a pressure washer, cover all the holes to prevent ANY water or cleaner in. Get some carb cleaner, a green non-metalic scotch brite pad and some simple green. Soak it in carb cleaner and scrub with pad then go over it with some simple green scrub a little more, change pad often they are cheap. Then rinse it with the pressure washer. Make sure the cleaners soak in to the grease. Then go home and spray it with alcohol wipe it down and dry with compressed air. I hope you have the means to do this, I think you do. It should clean it up good.

GL

Scott

getting an engine ready to drop in that's rather greasy with oil all over it. right now the intake manifold isn't installed. i'd like to get it as clean as possible without taking zillions of hours wiping and rewiping the entire thing. what do you guys do?

I like simple green too, but for really dirty engines, I've an employed a product called Awesome. It works great and is faster at the job.

have you guys done this? i feel like i've hit stuff before with engine cleaner, degreaser, brake cleaner, carb cleaner and the nasty just doesn't come off. i'll give it a whirl again. i'm not looking for squeaky clean, just don't want a black engine either! not sure how such low mileage engine gets that dirty in the first place, but whatever.

project scott? i don't say, it usually gets responses like "buy something else" or "you're dumb" or whatever people say when they think everyone else has to be, think and make decisions like they do. it's the opposite of what most people care about, so it's not that interesting. slower, FWD...bring it on!

have you guys done this? i feel like i've hit stuff before with engine cleaner, degreaser, brake cleaner, carb cleaner and the nasty just doesn't come off. i'll give it a whirl again. i'm not looking for squeaky clean, just don't want a black engine either! not sure how such low mileage engine gets that dirty in the first place, but whatever.

project scott? i don't say, it usually gets responses like "buy something else" or "you're dumb" or whatever people say when they think everyone else has to be, think and make decisions like they do. it's the opposite of what most people care about, so it's not that interesting. slower, FWD...bring it on!

My 2.5 looks like it just came out of a box. I treat it at the car wash ( my cleaners), then let the high pressure do its magic.