Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Phase 2 EJ25 into Phase 1 EJ25 Outback?

Pooparu

How easy would it be to swap in a Phase 2 EJ25 into my 1998 Outback? Would I need to re-wire the whole thing or could I just use my intake manifold from my phase 1 on the phase 2 block and heads?

Just something I was thinking about when my head gaskets go.

im not an expert on EJ's but from what i have read, they should be the same. the big differance is the phase II block has 6 bolts and the phase I only has 4.

not to worrie though. just leave two of the bolts out, the other four fit just the same.

as long as the intake bolts up (witch i beleave it will) it should be just fine...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

im not an expert on EJ's but from what i have read, they should be the same. the big differance is the phase II block has 6 bolts and the phase I only has 4.

not to worrie though. just leave two of the bolts out, the other four fit just the same.

as long as the intake bolts up (witch i beleave it will) it should be just fine...

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

The other difference also being that phase I in DOHC and phase II is a SOHC, right? (the head gasket problem was fixed on the phase II)

The EJ25D intake manifold won't bolt up to the EJ22 heads, but a EJ253 (SOHC type) will bolt to it. The exhaust manifold is different as well (singleport on the EJ22). You can transfer the engine harness to the EJ22 and get away with changing a few sensor plugs to match newer stuff or rig up slightly different mounting methods (mainly the coil, TPS, IAC) and you might have to extend the cam sensor wires a little since the SOHC puts it in a different spot.

Check the crank timing gear for the same number of teeth, as phase I and II can be different depending on the year.....use the one that goes with your ECU.

Take care of those little things and know that you'll have an EGR code....it'll run just fine.

Jay Storm

The EJ25D intake manifold won't bolt up to the EJ22 heads, but a EJ253 (SOHC type) will bolt to it. The exhaust manifold is different as well (singleport on the EJ22). You can transfer the engine harness to the EJ22 and get away with changing a few sensor plugs to match newer stuff or rig up slightly different mounting methods (mainly the coil, TPS, IAC) and you might have to extend the cam sensor wires a little since the SOHC puts it in a different spot.

Check the crank timing gear for the same number of teeth, as phase I and II can be different depending on the year.....use the one that goes with your ECU.

Take care of those little things and know that you'll have an EGR code....it'll run just fine.

Jay Storm