Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NEED Quick advice! on 2008 Impreza purchase

Hi Friends!

Just found a 2008 Impreza on a lot. Priced at $21,650.

I talked them down to $16,500 + tax and License = $18,000 out the door. (Manual transmission)

SHOULD WE BUY THIS CAR?

Any known issues?

Is this a good long-term purchase?

I'm concerned by the 20 / 27 mpg rating.. 20 mpg!! :eek:

What else should we consider?

The Impreza is definitely above our means, and will be be a huge investment for us.

We own a 2001 Forrester, and a 1997 Legacy GT. The Forrester was totaled in a rear-end accident.

I trust the good people here on this board..

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

David

please feel free to answer here and at: dasani25@hotmail.com

I test drove one and loved it, and if I had the money to spend on it right now it would be sitting in my driveway. So far, no one has anything to say bad about them except for the questionably different styling, and I would be surprised if anything does show up over the next few years.

As far as gas milage goes, im not really sure how they compare to what the sticker says. Anyone else have any input?

Can you find the invoice price somewhere? Keep in mind of course many automakers refund a 'hold back' to the dealer after the vehicle is sold so invoice isn't really what the dealer ends up paying. I"m not sure if Subaru does this.

I'm not sure but didn't the EPA or whoever recently revise their testing/calculation procedures for mileage estimates to bring them more in line with real world results? Typically in the past the estimates were a little high AFIAK.

The Impreza is definitely above our means, and will be be a huge investment for us.

If you like the car and it will handle all the things you will need for it to do for at least the next 5 to 10 years then you should be fine. You will have the the warranty to cover any problems for some time so that can help save you some money.

Since you say that the investment will be a lot for your pocket book then your biggest concern may be with your finances rather than what model car to get. Think what you will have to do if something happens where you need to have some emergency money. If you are going to have scrape every month just to make a car payment you should consider a less expensive purchase. I assume you will be making payments for at least 3 years and that can be a long time if you are just getting by making the payment each month and can't save anything.

That's my thought on this anyways. Don't dig yourself into a hole you will have trouble getting out of later if something should happen.