Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front seat bolt keeps turning and turning and turning. . .

which bolt?? front left or right or rear left or right?

you may have to resort to breaking off the bolt head, then yanking the seat AND carpet then replacing the nut. (if there is a nut, some of the holes may just be threads in the floorpan)

I'm willing to help someday that I'm free after I finish my college project and my Loyale tranny swap

Fix depends on what is left.

If the nut is still in there but the threads are trashed, try putting a longer bolt of the same thread thru and putting a nut on the nut side thus clamping new threads.

If the nuts isnt there then you have a bigger mess but it might require a fender washer and a new nut, etc. If you can see the ground thru the hole then you have one option, if you cant theres more.

It doesn't go down it goes front to back. From what I can tell there is no access to the backside where the nut is. Thats why I hit the board up to see if anyone else has seen this and if they knew an easy fix. I guess I could get a really large machine scew and then just knock the bolt out and thread the big screw through the hole. Cuz I don't think there is anyway to get to that nut on the other side, not with out cutting a big hole in the metal on the back side to open that area up for access.

--GoatBoy--

Hmmm I'm trying to remember... its been a while since ive removed my carpet/seats...

But there may be some access in there, but not much. I know its a raised rib of some sort thats welded to the floor. You may need to remove the rear seat heating ducting (black plastic stuff) after yanking the carpeting, but I'm pretty sure you could get down in there to fix that nut.

Not an uncommon problem. Remove the seat and get the carpeting out of the way. Drill a hole in the rear portion of the raised rib and then install a large bolt, large flat washer, lock washer and nut (locktite wouldn't hurt either) to hold the seat in place. It's awkward to keep then nut from turning when tightening the bolt, but it's easier than welding if you don't have the welding equipment.

The old bolt is still in there. I have a dremel tool. I'll just cut it off with that. I really don't want to rip up the carpeting. I think I'll just cut the bolt off and then run a bigger screw in there. Thanks for all the input guys!

--GoatBoy--