Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 legacy wagon ignition issues WTF ?

just bought a 92 legacy wagon off of craigslist, and after drivin it for a day the key wouldn't turn all the way off, nor would the steering wheel lock, and the shifter would move freely from park to drive (automatic)

Took it to a tranny shop, $200 bucks later the key works great !

Now the key won't turn the DARN ( not the word I want to use, but family board ! ) thing over.

The steering is locked and so is shifter....... so WTF?

my question is ........ Is there an electric neutral safty switch that may be broken?

any advice would help !

Sounds like the trany shop fixed a mechanical problem in the shift interlock.

What is the condition of the ignition key. If it is worn, get the key code for the car and have a new key cut for starters.

key is in pretty good shape, I may just go have another one cut just for kicks

Make sure an have a new key cut by code. If the old key is worn and you have a copy made, you will just have a brand new worn out key.:)

A dealer can give you the key code. You will have to provide them with VIN and probably proof of ownership.

Or you can remove the passanger side door lock, key code is stamped on there.

if the steering wheel is locked and the key won't turn you need to start a wrestling match with the steering wheel. it's just stuck. i've had them stuck so bad that i would have to pull to the side (left/right) on the steering wheel as hard as i can...which is rather hard, nearly thinking i'm going to break it, while simultaneously turning the key. and finally...after some rediculous efforts, the key would turn over. seen this a few times and know others that have had it as well. so start hanging from that steering wheel and see what happens. the last one took me a heck of a long time, so long that i was almost convinced it was impossible, then finally click...the key turned. and that was on a 1997 legacy GT.

mr gary you were right after giving my new hooptie SHAKIN CHILD SYNDROM the key turned like there never was an issue. :clap:

The ignition key housing is a little more "wiggly" than I think it should be. maybe the reason for the jammed key action.

Thanks again !

I think it has to do with the steering wheel lock mechanism integrated into the ignition switch. There's a big steel pawl that retracts when you turn the key - it's job is to lock the steering wheel from turning. After years of paranoid people locking the steering wheel when they park the car there are grooves worn in the locking pawl - this makes it difficult to retract and leads to the wrestling match as noted above.

IE: I don't think that having a new key made will help. Really it needs a new (used) ignition switch - preferably with the locking pawl neutered :rolleyes:

Early 90's Legacy theft is pretty uncommon, and I think a kill switch is more effective anyway.

Also - if it becomes a REAL wrestling match - just jack up the front end.

GD