Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is it considered suspension lift or body lift? with the tcase mod.

Rooinater

well i was just figuring. the main reason our lifts are considered body lifts is because the engine and tranny drop down with the suspension.

cause if you look at ifs suspension lifts they use block systems to do the suspension lift on the ifs section. so being the fact that once the subframe is in and since everything is being sucked up to the original positions. these lifts should be considered suspension lifts.

cause i know that's what i'm considering them. because 1 there is a frame now and the tranny and engine are in the original spots. so your just dropping the new front axle assembly and the rear axle assembly. also cause torsion bars will be for back up only and ea82 springs will be holding most of the weight. it may not be a gain in suspension travel. but that don't matter towards being considered a suspension lift. i've seen jeep lift kits that actually make you lose suspension travel.

My verdict is they should and are considered suspension lifts! do to the way they are designed versus the older style lifts!

You're probably right about the symantics. But does it really matter what you call it? I mean if it works it works and the only thing that'll impress the hardcores is seeing it in action. Remember how they laughed at Suzukis?

I guess that begs the question of what'll impress those guys? I suspect one thing would be ramp score or real world articulation. The other thing would be gearing crawl ratio. If you can show them you can crawl and then sneak around the obstacles they're breaking stuff trying to go over...well they might think you're cheating. But if you're on top of the hill and they're not, and you've spent $10,000 less getting there, who's laughing at who?

Getting more articulation, that's the next frontier of Soob mods. Should be interesting seeing what people come up with.

I consider it a hybrid and I always have. Asking if it is a body or suspension lift is like when people ask us if we have in inline or V engine and we say it is flat, then they ask again if it is inline or V.

The suspension mount points are moved down while the "frame" (albeit attatched to the body permenantly) stays in place. If you look at many suspension lift kits they do just that, move the suspension mount points.

On the other hand, like a body kit the engine and driveline stays in a relative place while the body goes up.

SO my view is that just like everything else when it comes to our trucks/cars, it is like nothing else one the road.

Actually Boz - in the scenario he's describing, the engine and tranny actually DO go up with the body. That's why the nissan transfer case - allows you to use drivelines to the front and rear. Basically turns the whole rig into a regular 4x4 truck arrangment underneath.

I still think it's a body lift - with a change in the drive train that makes the drivetrain taller. But the diffs are still at the same location relative to the wheels - so it's still a body lift.

GD

I'm with Scott on this one, it's more of a hybrid, it's neither but both. It's kind of a world in it's own. Actually haveing it done, and operating the vehicle puts more of a persepctive on things. I've run across quite a few people that just give me that puzzed look when I try to describe it (you have 3 shifters!!??) But once they see it in action it's a whole other story. I don't have to worry about banging up my oil pan or tranny anymore, but of course I do have a lower point in the center of the truck that I have to deal with, it has it's trade off's. I like the way mine is set up, everything is really quick and easy. I can change a front diff in 20 minutes, I can pull the engine in 15 (working on getting it down to 5), everything is setup so that I can quickly pull it out if I need to fix it on the trail, and with the height there is plenty of room to work under there. I'm actually working on a setup so that the motor can come out real quick on the trail, and only require myself to do it. I think I'm starting to ramble off topic now.

I've put body lifts on other rigs (Blazers, Broncos, ect. And the engine stays in the same location, but the body moves higher around it, just like the BYB/PK lifts. Where as lifts like mine leave the engine location relative to the body in the same place. So yeah, it's neither a body or suspension lift, but both.

definitions:

body lift:

lifts the body off of the frame, engine, tranny.

suspension lift:

lifts the body and frame off of the axle assemblies. retaining the engine in the same spot in the frame.

a low down of the lift.

you are taking the car body. you are putting it on a frame. the engine retains it's normal position in the body. you are lifting the body and frame away from the axle assemblies. the front crossmember has a diff put in it. therefore your tranny is no longer the front diff. so your crossmember now is a front axle assembly. and your rear axle assembly is placed away from the frame and body. therefore it is a suspension lift. it may be all steel and no new springs. but in all principles it's an ifs suspension lift. it may not be a standard solid axle lift but it is a ifs suspension lift.

the strut mounts are also now on the frame. along with the rear coil-overs. and an ea82 struts and coilovers are being used.

the fullsize chevy truck my brother has. the lifts are very similar to what is being done right now to my car.

just where i stand in my logic of a subframed lift.

basically the car is being put on a small subframe. the engine goes to the tranny, rear shaft of the tranny goes to a nissan tcase. another rear diff is stuffed under the tranny into the crossmember. and a driveline is ran to the front and back.so the front of transaxle is rendered usless. the car becomes rear wheeldrive. with 2 4hi and 2 4lo.