Ultimate Subaru Message Board

which is better? d/r or push button

I prefer not having to grab a second lever to shift to 4wd "on the Fly" So, in a real world driving kinda way I prefer the pushbutton single range(I really prefer 4EAT but...). But for wheeling, having lower gears is a plus D/R is better for sure. Especially for bigger tires.

That all said, I want to try to custom make both. With a custom D/R setup that Milemaker and I where researching.

It would have split 4wd and HI/lo controls(2wd LO). With the stock D/R lever used ONLY to activate HI/LO Range. And the 4wd activated by pushbutton stick from S/R

Needed:

1 Full D/R trans.

S/R vacuum cable mechnism

Shift fork(collar) and lever(the one the cable moves) From the S/R

Vacuum solenoids and shifter lever with Pushbutton switch.

The D/R shifter fork is linked to the though shaft, going to the HI/LO control.

remove the D/R collar, and fit the one from the S/R in it' place. The through shaft will need a notch ground to clear the S/R linkage, and of course the boss in the side of the case would need to be milled to size for the cable actuated lever to go through the box.

You could also swap the whole extension case from the S/R and add the though shaft into it from the D/R. But that is a PITA, more stuff to remove, and you till have to drill a hole for the through shaft so no gain there.

Hmmm..... Hard to explain but it would be sweet. I hope to do it and post pictures.

well see, im planning on putting the EA82T in my hatch, so im trying to figure out if what i should mout up to the EA82T

Hey SS This is Jerry, what kind of car are you going to put the tranny in that makes a difference. If is't for your hatch back EA81 engine well that would tell me it would be the 5 speed dual range tranny. Thanks Jerry

I prefer not having to grab a second lever to shift to 4wd "on the Fly" So, in a real world driving kinda way I prefer the pushbutton single range.

:confused:

You pull a lever up.

Almost as easy as pushing a button.

:confused:

You pull a lever up.

Almost as easy as pushing a button.

If you need 4wd right away, while moving, and also say need to grab a different gear you are screwed.

This was particularly the case in Wisconsin winters. Plows clear snow on main roads, but side roads remain packed with snow.

Example :I am say turning from a clear road onto a snowy one.

I don't want to have to stop because I'm in traffic. I need to downshift to go slower and have more torque in the snow. But I won't be able to have good control(or even get through the turn onto the road) if I drive into the snow in 2wd. I need to drop from 4th or 3rd, to 2nd gear, and also engage my 4wd.

With a D/R, in order to do both at the same time I have to:

1) put the clutch in, shift the gear lever,

2)then take my hand off and move it to the 4wd lever and move, while watching the road, into just the right spot to be in 4wd, but not LO, and not between gears(false nuetral)

3)waiting all the while to let the clutch back out, coasting, with nothing but brakes to control a vehichle in the snow(which is like nothing)

But With a Pushbutton both things can happen at the same time, without having to move my hand.. Just have to wait for the 4WD light, then let the clutch out and punch it.

Which adds up to shorter amount of time having the clutch engaged and "coasting" without the drivetrain hooked to the pavement. And I never have to move my hand off and "look" for the other control, which is a distraction.

Mostly, it is a convenience issue. It just get's annoying when you have to engage and disengage the 4wd 5 times on a 1 mile trip across town. Here in the mountains we generally "lock in" and go for a while, we either have snow or we don't. But in the midwest you get a mix of plowed and unplowed in any city. This is probably why Subaru's really didn't take off in the midwest until after AWD introduction.

Beyond that though, I do think pushbutton 4wd makes "on the fly" and "emergency" 4wd activation safer and quicker*.

*provided that you're vacuum shifting system is working properly and doesn't have delay or binding issues. These Part Time boxes are getting old, and some off both types D/R and S/R have shifting issues. To me that feature is the one saving grace of the old 3at automatic trans. Nearly instant hydraulic activated 4wd. But it's a turd of a trans otherwise, and that's another issue