Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I installed a NOS sniper kit into my '95 Legacy. Its currently spraying just a 30 shot. I like the results so far. We'll see what I can break at 50 and 70 shots.:grin:

Anyone else out there put a bottle in their Soob? I guess more importantly, anyone crazy enough to put one in a non-wrx?

Ive been thinkin about it for the EA81 Im putting in the Beast, only because for now I know it will lack power (until I get enough money to build it my way :grin: ) I just not sure if i want to though, Im not sure how well a little EA81 can handle nitrous.

There's only one way to find out! If its not your primary vehicle, I'd do it. You can get a NOS sniper kit for about $360 off ebay. This will give you from 30-70 hp. I'd think those motors wouldn't have much trouble handling the 30hp shot.

They're pretty easy to install. Running the hose from the trunk to the hood was the most time consuming part. I'd recommend positioning everything before drilling anything. I made the mistake of drilling my intake before I set everything up and the nozzle stuck up and hit the hood. So now I have a 7/16 bolt right next to the nozzle :rolleyes:

I'm running the 35hp jet and the power increase is definitely noticeable. When I feel a little more brave I'm going to stick in the 50hp jet. I think I'll hold off on the 70 hp jet until I get a backup vehicle (guy wants to sell me his 80s 300zx for $1400)

I say spray it, beastidrive

Keep us updated. I want to see how much laughing gas you're able to squeeze in there w/o issues and to see how your engine is doing 6 months from now. I'd love to play with a bottle in my 95, but I know that would be what finally pushed it over the edge...with 225,000 miles, I figure you don't mess with much...

Right on, the other factor for auto trans, esp auto trans with miles, is how much power they can take before the clutches start slipping. That will chew up an auto trans fast. Normally the trans, if it detects slipping, will bump up line pressure to the max to try to stop slipping. Then you might get harder shifts but it may take the power. In manual trans of course the clutch has only so much holding power as well.

Right on time Porcupine

bump for daman Destey

where is dem picts, bro??

thx for the bump. the kit and everything are running great. Atlantic Speed has been great to deal with and were quite helpful.

The routing of the hose will probably change slightly. Right now its routed on the right side above the drive axle, which seems to be ok for now but it gets sprayed with a lot of sand and salt. I might be able to go over the tank if I can get the strap bolts loose to drop it down a bit. It just misses being able to fit through right now by a hair.

Wiring up front is "functional" ... you'll notice the 7/16 bolt up on the intake where I drilled the first time. ;)

Here's the setup:

NOS 07005NB Sniper wet shot kit

10lb bottle

30 jet (50shot? maybe down to 35-40 as bottle is cold here in vt)

stock ej22 engine (1995 5spd legacy sedan)

Spare tire is removed to help with gas mileage but subwoofer remains :) So its probably on par with factory specd weight

In first gear its hard to notice because as soon as the solenoids kick in its already time to shift. Second gear it starts to be felt and by 3rd and 4th it pulls pretty good (for what it is). The car seems to accelerate more as the speed increases.

more pics to come when it all gets tidied up

Derek

1000363xd2.th.jpg

1000366fr8.th.jpg

1000369vq4.th.jpg

1000370tw7.th.jpg

1000377dw6.th.jpg

51450113qk0.th.jpg

1000384bo9.th.jpg

1000385tm6.th.jpg

Nice! Say what part # is your nos sniper kit? The ones on ebay there have nice prices, esp for a wet shot. On summitracing similar kits go for more than twice that much?

Thanks porc, the one I got was 07005. I got mine through atlantic speed for $360 shipped. I see one on there now that looks like its the 07005 kit for a few bucks cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-NOS-Sniper-4-6-cyl-WET-Nitrous-Kit-35-75HP_W0QQitemZ320205544810QQihZ011QQcategoryZ33740QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

The bottle pressure is critical to everything working right. It's really important to keep the bottle at about 75 or 80 degrees. That will keep your pressure about 950 psi or so. You might want to look into getting a nitrous pressure gauge, you can even get cheap ones that screw right onto the bottle. If your running it with a low bottle pressure it will hit very soft, probably why you didn't notice much in first gear, and the system will run real rich.

I was big into nitrous years ago, not so much anymore:burnout:

So is it still holding together?

So far so good! I had the 70shot jet in there for a while but I don't think I was quite getting the 70 hp with the bottle being 35 deg F. Probably 40-60hp gain. Feels like a lot though!!

Its still pretty early but at this point I'd definitely recommend this project to anyone with a soob, $400, and a desire for more hp. The car is way faster than it should be :)

The bottle pressure is critical to everything working right. It's really important to keep the bottle at about 75 or 80 degrees. That will keep your pressure about 950 psi or so. You might want to look into getting a nitrous pressure gauge

That sounds like a really good idea, especially with the temperatures we have here in the north. Any ideas about how to keep the bottle at that temp?

That sounds like a really good idea, especially with the temperatures we have here in the north. Any ideas about how to keep the bottle at that temp?

You can buy an electric bottle heater, it wraps around the bottle. Or I used to run the heater on high and put the bottle on the floor by the heater outlet to warm it up. Or put it under the hood for a while. Some guys heat the bottle with a propane torch, but's that's kind of risky. Keep an eye on the pressure, don't let it get too hot or it will pop the safety valve on the bottle.