Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A full day of nothing....

Was it Murphy's Birthday today? Just wondering cos that's the kind of day I had. My brother and I were going to go to Tucson to order motor mounts for Thunder Wagon and a driveshaft for mine ( RWD is hard on u-joints ). Well, we didn't get out of the house till 12:30 and we still had to stop by the bank. Did that and began headding to Tucson (abouts 90 miles) . We're humming along anyware between the speed limit and 90, when all of a sudden no more gogo. Just died. Pull over and check things out: T-belts - OK. Spark - OK. Fuel - Looks ok. Try again - starts right up. Odd...... Get back on the road and buck buck kick kick died again. WHAT????:confused: We were able to crawl along about 25-30 mph and made it to an off ramp, but no autoparts stores for miles. We guess that maybe the ditys finnally gave out cause the tach was jumpy last trip we were up there. Swapped that, again, started right up and again we began rolling. We just about made it to the end of the on ramp and it died again. Ok, I do belive we have a fuel problem. We tried bypassing the fuel filter - no luck. Called home at about 3:00, Mom said Dad was on his way to pick up the truck and head for tucson. We figured Dad was about an hour away and we would at least be able to get to the Dealer for the motor mounts for my brother, which closes at 5:30. Nope, Dad finnaly showed up at 5:15 and we still had quite a few miles to Autozone. Locked her up and hopped in the truck for food and parts. Picked up a fuel pump and filter and headded back. By now it's dark with a nice breeze blowing the fuel in my face, I swapped the fuel pump, couldn't replace the fuel filter - wrong size. Tryed to fire her up - won't start, almost catches but not enough to run. Gave up and we towed her home. Left there about 7:20 and rolled into the driveway at 10:00 with no motor mounts, no spare drive shaft and another broke Subaru. What a day of exciting nothing! :mad:

yeah murphy had a hey day at wcss9 i puta hole in the block of my turbo wagon :( then when my dad was on the way over to tow me back to ellensburg about 150 or so miles away the tow ball came off his truck and he almost lost the dolly thank god for safty chains. then he couldent find a store that had a tow ball. he had to stay the night in the truck in a town with no truck stop so people kept waiking him to move his truck. meenwhile i was sleeping in my my turbo wagon that had enough juice to close the sunnroof but not the windows it was a cold night. then the port-o-john ran out of toilet paper thanks got for knapkens. dad rolls up at about 800 in the morning we got home at about noon. ughug pain in the rump roast.

glad you made it home safe.

Rob

Well, I did a little digging and found that the controller box for the fuel pump has died. However, it doen't do it imediately. It's ok for a few minutes then fails. Typical electrial...... Anyways, I also found that I had the coil wires switched, so I wonder if that had anything to do with the dieing of the controller. Unfortunatly, my electrical toolbox is at work due to the tools I need for laptop repairs (I got laptop DC jack replacements comming out of my ears!) So, I will have to wait till tomarow. At least I found it. I can be thankfull for that.:)

Yesterday, my 4eat decided it was done. Drives, but feels like the brakes are on. I believe it is one of the 2 sprague type oneway clutchs, or the overrunning clutch binding.

That was after a day of Rpaiing My Nisan altima only to have a chain procket bolt back out, and throw the chain, bending valves on 2 cylinders.

Well, I did a little digging and found that the controller box for the fuel pump has died. However, it doen't do it imediately. It's ok for a few minutes then fails. Typical electrial...... Anyways, I also found that I had the coil wires switched, so I wonder if that had anything to do with the dieing of the controller. Unfortunatly, my electrical toolbox is at work due to the tools I need for laptop repairs (I got laptop DC jack replacements comming out of my ears!) So, I will have to wait till tomarow. At least I found it. I can be thankfull for that.:)

Way to go Ted, glad you found the problem so quickly. :clap:

/D.

Well, after rewiring the fuel pump circuit. I started her up. Took some work, but she finnaly started. However I couldn't use more than full throttle - would just die. Hummm....I decided to put my fuel pressure guage in - nothing. Not even a wiggle! Ok, great a clog in the line? What's that running water sound? GREAT DRIFTING SUBARUS!!! I got fuel pouring out of the venturi and pooling down in the throttle bores! A Ha! Me thinks...stuck float? Pull apart the carby. Sure enough, the needle valve assembly worked it's way loose and jammed itself into the bowl assembly. I scewed down, and made sure it was tight this time, the needle valve assembly, reset the float settings, put everything bck together and she runs! Fires up fist try, went for a test drive and I can use full throttle again! Whoo hoo!!:banana::banana::banana::burnout::burnout: