Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sloppy ea82 shifter

i was wondering if anyone new of an easy fix for a sloppy ea82 shifter, it seems to have excess swing and play. i remember a long while ago there used to be a sloppy shifter fix for one of the d/r trannys. but can't remember for the life of me. i was wondering if anyone would point me in the right direction. thanks

sweet, i'll have to look into that, so all the bushings on the arms. i'll have to go to subaru directly for that, right?

Yeah - sadly they are dealer only parts. But at least they are inexpensive. Check that the bolts aren't worn out, or anything else badly worn. It's usually just the bushings though.

On the flip-side, you could always snag a linkage from the yard that feels better, and either just use it, or install the bushings on the spare and just slip it right in. It's only like 6 bolts, a cotter pin, and the interior consoles.

GD

I stumbled across a pretty sweet fix this fall. when I went to put everything together, I couldn't find the 2 bushings for one of the pivot points on the tranny side. but I did have the bolt and the sleeve that fits over it. so I wrapped the sleeve with electrical tape until it fit snugly into the linkage. I had only intended it to be a temporary fix, but it improved shifter feel soooo much, I've left it. and it's worked great! and again, I only did it to one pivot point!

i'll keep that in mind if I can't find the parts. all ideas are welcome. the shifter won't go into reverse in double low, cause of the shifter swinging so much and interfering with my nissan tcase shifter. so I can't quickly rock forward and reverse in the mud or snow. which poses a problem in washington, wasn't a problem in az, just a nusance.

• 2 months later...