Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Subaru Legacy High-Output Alternator?

I had a good web site for that....I'll have to look, maybe I have it bookmarked. I saw some on craigslist before that claimed to be 140amp alternators for Subaru...had no other details though.

Why do you need such a high output? If you could do without a/c you might be able to yank that compressor and mount in some additional, second aftermarket alt such as a wrangler with a separate battery for your high load devices.

Just noticed your location. Many years ago when I lived in Wilmington, DE I had an alternator shop build me a custom 120 amp alternator for our 510 rally car (up from the stock 60 amp unit).

We needed it since the rally car was pulling 80 amps with the auxillary lights we had and we were killing the battery on all night rallies. It was physically double the size of the original unit and we were able to fit it since we had removed the smog pump when the weber was installed.

I wish I could remember the name of the shop; not likely to still exist since this was about 25 years ago. But your best be is to check for a local rebuilder that handles Delco and see what he suggests.

thanks for your replies....i know it would probubly have to be custom built but i cant really find any sources for that either.... like you suggested porc. i was also looking at doubling up but i kind of need my AC so it looks like that is out.....i have seen some 180 amp units before and also some even as high as 300 amps both custom of course.....but im on my 3rd alt. and i just increased the size of my stereo system and am thinking about going further but i think the first step is a HO alternator......i already have 2 amplifiers (2200 watts) running off the stock unit......not a good scenario.....any other ideas please feel free to shout um out.....:headbang:

Well, I couldn't find him. He had a handful(about 5) posted last week when I was looking for HIDs for my Legacy. I just happened to see his items and clicked on one of them to see what was up. But I just looked and saw none of his auctions. I'll keep searching and keep you posted.

Patrick

yeah i know .....one guy told me to get a smaller pulley for the alt. than he took a look at mine and since it was already pretty small that went out the window......thanks 4WDfrenzy that is a good idea i will take a look now but i was kind of also looking for someone that would give a warranty for there work....prob. asking to much.....thanks for the help fellas.....

and i just increased the size of my stereo system and am thinking about going further but i think the first step is a HO alternator......i already have 2 amplifiers (2200 watts) running off the stock unit......not a good scenario.....

maybe I am just getting old, but - just WHY do you need a stereo putting out that much power?????

I have never understood the need for blasting a stereo so loud that you can hear it 3 blocks over....

ok, carry on...

just remember that at full load you might not have quite enough belt oomph to make it go 'round.

That's 2.4kw draw at 200 amps and allowing for some losses in the system, it's about 3.5hp (3.22 pure conversion)

That was an issue on our Datsun rally car with the 120amp alternator. Luckily, I had a double pulley on the crank, so the upgraded alternator was made with a double pulley to prevent problems.

Size will be your biggest problem since a 200+ amp alternator with any reliability at all will be very large.

Also, reconsider your needs. Just because your sound system is 2200 watts max (just under 200 amps max) doesn't mean you will always be drawing the full current out of the alternator. For peak load times, the battery is a fine back-up (upgrade the wiring) and you should be able to get away with a 120amp version which will be much more do-able.

Also, don't expect much of a warranty. You're exceeding most reasonable demands and if you find someone to build you this special unit, it's not likely he'll warranty it. I didn't get one with the 120amp unit I had built for the rally car, but I knew what I needed and a 120amp unit is not so unusual and I had no trouble with it in the three years I had the rally car.

I have no idea of the quality of these units, but here's a place that sells some claimed high output soob alts.

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hioual.html

Particularly : http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/hiou195ampsu.html

180 amps of power for all of your accessories !

Stock alternators are rated at only 85 amps. This unit puts out 65 amps at idle. All performance alternators have a 1 year warranty. A prepaid return label comes with your order to easily return your core for the $60.00.

This high output alternator replaces original equipment #'s :

LR185-701, LR185-701H, 23700-AA210, 23700-AA210F, LR185-702, 23700-AA211, 23700-AA211F, 23700-AA34A

I'm guessing they rebuild an existing alt since it says 'This is engineered by order only will not ship for 7 business days'.

• 2 months later...

Well????

EVOthis did you go for it?

I'd really like to know since I have a need for more juice as well...

While working I'm running my lightbar, CB, lights and if I have my lappy with me an inverter too powering my lappy and possibly recharging my cellphone.

At idle my inverter beeps at me.

Any new info would be great.

Thanks,

Mal

no unfortunately i never got around to it.....i ran into other problems that required my attention (i lost 4th gear)....unfortunately i used most of my money on another trans.......i will prob. be posting something if i do decide to do in in the future.....im just about to graduate from school and just landed a job at a Subaru dealership in Delaware so now i actually have time to make some real money......

Thanks for the replies.

try turning off your headlights or heater blower or wipers, that stops mine from beeping.

yup John... figured this out on my own... also discovered that if I make sure the laptop is good and charged it's less likely...

I've been able to manage so far but am thinking of hooking up some cams to my laptop for some life-casting video and wasn't sure how much more power I'm gonna need...

Working in NYC in the middle of winter at night it's hard not to use the blower or heater, lights I'm required to have on while working.

Haven't decided if I'm gonna try this one out yet or not... but it's only $90 more after core refund than what my local shop charged me for a brand new standard output alternator.

Mal