Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fine Tuning

As a refresher to everyone. I have an 86 mustang 2.3L single barrel carb. I recently redid the timing on it. Thanks to all your guys help on that.

Now i'm faced with a new problem. Does anybody know what the timing should be set at? How do you Fine Tune it. It is running rough around the edges. IF you guys can help me with it I'd be grateful.

Fine tuning a 2.3 is a lot of carb & dizzy, just like a Subie.

I don't have my Haynes manual handy, but I can tell you there's a wide sweet spot in the 2300's timing.

If you get it to within a couple degrees snug the dizzy, then drive it. If it spark knocks @ full throttle, back it off until it just quits. If it doesn't knock, advance it till it does, then back it off a bit. When you get it feeling right, tighten the dizzy bolt.

Carb tuning, is out of my league. IIRC the '86 has a feedback carb of Holley origin.

Have you ever looked in on the guys at http://www.foureyedpride.com ? I'm sure they'll have craploads of help for you on this.

The same weber 32/36 that works so well on Subarus is also magical on this engine.

There should be a sticker under the hood that will tell you where the timing should be. You will probably have to disconnect/connect a wire/terminal/vacuum hose somewhere to keep the vacuum advance/ecu from interfering with the timing adjustment.

Or you can set it by ear, as suggested above.

Confusing enough?

If I remember when I get home, I'll look in my massive Chilton's manual for a procedure.

If I remember when I get home, I'll look in my massive Chilton's manual for a procedure.

Ok, yeah that book doesn't tell me anything. Find the sticker under the hood. It should tell you what you need to do in order to adjust the timing. If you don't understand it, copy it down and type it up here.