Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speed swap

mr. radon over on the subaruxt forum did a auto to manual conversion on an XT6, should be very similar since EA82 and XT6 transmissions, driveline, and rear ends are interchangeable.

i'm not sure if it matters but a 3AT verses a 4EAT auto (both offered in EA82's) might make a difference? might want to post what vehicle and/or trans you have now.

thanks for the replies! just for clarification this is a loyale 4wd with a 3at. I've discovered trans fluid in the front differential and I assume its a failed seal that i've read about on the forum elsewhere. seems like the manual swap is definetely the way to go versus repair of the automatic. thanks.

I've discovered trans fluid in the front differential and I assume its a failed seal that i've read about on the forum elsewhere.

1. Those rarely fail.

2. Have you drained it and filled it with the proper respective fluids and made sure it wasn't just a mistake by a previous owner and/or shop?

3. Trans fluid in the front diff won't neccesarily hurt it for quite a while. You may get 10's of thousands of miles out of it before the front diff goes. Many of us run ATF in our manual transmissions (same front diff style) on purpose in order to clean/renew the syncro's. It's not detrimental to their life in a big way.

4. If/when you do the swap, it's simple. Pedal assembly (4 bolts, and some cables/brake rod), clutch/cable/flywheel, front section of the driveline, rear end if you need it (ratio change?), cross-member, shift linkage, jumper two pins on the 3AT harness for the crank circuit, and install interior consoles.

GD

i imagine the 3AT is a bit easier than the 4EAT, or simpler at least?

does he have to do the wiring for the reverse lights to work?

you might need the starter too?

it's really nice to do this swap using a parts car. keep your eye out, they aren't hard to find really cheap or free.

does he have to do the wiring for the reverse lights to work?

Yeah - if he wants them he'll have to find the reverse switch on the tranny and run wires to the old 3AT connector. Not a huge deal though.

you might need the starter too?

Nope.

it's really nice to do this swap using a parts car. keep your eye out, they aren't hard to find really cheap or free.

Always best that way, but the 4WD 3AT to 4WD 5 speed is about as simple as they get. Probably only two or three trips to the junk yard :lol:

GD