Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me ID these brakes.

Is it like this one? It's hard to tell because the pictures are from the opposite sides. This is for either a VW Rabbit or VW Scirocco. As soon as I saw the holes for the pins and square pads, it rang a bell......It sure looks like my vw scirocco brakes! (that was 18 years ago)

vwcaliper.jpg

Anything is possible. This car did have a VW beetle transmission in it at one point. But I think they are subaru brakes of some sort. The pins and retainers on those VW brakes look different. I will try to get some more pics of the back ones and look for markings on them.

they look very similar to the brakes pictured however notice the japanese lettering on the calipers...

i would say you're looking for a japanese make...

perhaps converting to suby brakes would be a good option? fresh calipers go on ebay all the time...

Your rear brakes look just like 1972 JDM Subaru rear discs. Wish I could scan my 1972 catalogue but from your photos they are Subaru rear brakes.

That's what I was thinking. This was a factory race car from 1972. I think Subaru may have sent over some JDM parts for it. I've seen some old magazine pics of it and it had the JDM dual carb intake manifold on it in 1972 also.

Now the question is where to get seals for these calipers if it needs them.

That's what I was thinking. This was a factory race car from 1972. I think Subaru may have sent over some JDM parts for it. I've seen some old magazine pics of it and it had the JDM dual carb intake manifold on it in 1972 also.

Now the question is where to get seals for these calipers if it needs them.

Good luck with that.:rolleyes:

Good luck with that.:rolleyes:

I know, I'm having a bad feeling brake parts, if needed, for this thing are going to be coming out of Japan or Australia. At least the pads are almost new and the rotors look useable. The brakes were sticking bad, I have all the pads out so I could roll it around. I'm taking the calipers off and apart soon. Hopfully they don't need seals, just a good cleanup on the sliders. It had brake fluid in it, good stuff too, looks like motul blue maybe, but it's been in there since the 80's...