Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another Goofy Idea--Storage in Spare Tire Area

Dante

I understand the spare is part of the safety equipment on old subies. Someone said when they were in an accident, the spare helped push the motor below rather than into the passenger compartment.

Not using the spare tire area if you have oversized tires also seems like a great waste of space. So I was wondering if one could fabricate a spare shaped storage box that would perform the spare's safety purpose while providing storage for tools, jumpers, fluids, etc. etc....

I'm sure you *could* probably build something. But what happens when you go fording? Whatever is in there is going to get very damp I suspect... and if you get stuck in a big puddle and you need something you stored in it..... still - you might be able to get it watertight... (still can't open it while it's under water tho). Seems like a lot of work for a very small gain - your wagon has a big cargo area, and I've never filled mine up even with passengers and all my gear. That area is where I'm planning to mount my air pump....

Also - To get something in there that would have the same safety charactersitics of a spare tire is not realistic. The tire - being rubber, has quite a bit of shock absorbing ability, and also is quite string due to the air contained inside it. It's a bit like an air bag when hit by an engine at high speed - it slows down the speed of the engine when it hits it.... I think that would be very difficult to replicate, and probably a waste of time.

GD

ditto to GD..

Here's some food for thought...If you don't plan on having over two passengers in your car at a time (you got your wagon for utility/fun purpose, right?) then you can do this:

Rip out the rear seats, and design a box that would contour to make the rear cargo platform extend to right behind the seats, then you wouldn't have that awkward dip where the back seat is mounted. This would make for a flat rear cargo area, make for a cozy sleep area, and provide a cool sotrage area all in one...

Five or six years ago I saw pictures online of a spare tire storage box someone had made. I think it was an Aussi dude and the box was the bottom of a plastic barrel or something like that with a nylon or rubber top held on by bungy cords and drawstring. He kept misc crap like jumper cables, spare belts, hoses etc in there.

The other night I was at Lowes and saw this round plastic box with a hinged lid, very festive looking and made for storing wreaths. Might be worth checking out.

Before I re-arranged my engine compartment, I would stash my tools etc in the spare tire location while I went hiking or fishing, figuring that most thieves wouldn't look for treasure under the hood of an old Soob. Somewhere down my list of future mods is a lockable box where my rear seat used to be.

you could weld/silicone something that would stay watertight easily enough, but it's correct that it wouldn't always be the easiest to get to. Some people, who do not have oversize wheel/tire setups on their subarus, put the spare in the back of the wagon and the goodies under the hood in the spare well when parked in the woods.. thinking that many people don't know the spare "belongs" under the hood so they wouldn't think to look for something ELSE there with a spare visible in the back.

Of course, even with pugs and super swampers, you could always leave the stock donut there for the collision benefits. Unless you have a turbo car, in which case an intercooler is another attractive choice.

Although it sounds like a good idea, you have to take into consideration the sustained level of heat underneath your hood. Most tools and misc. things like jumper cables bungee cords etc.. will do fine. But other stuff you may consider putting in there for temporary storage may not take the heat so well.

I've used that area for storing my tool bag.

As far as getting wet, not much water gets there most of the time. As long as you don't park it in the water/mud.

The behind the seat storage works well. I had a tool box built into my Hatch. But Dante needs his rear seat(at least half of it) for a passenger). And another thing. Most people get carried away with the "extra" space a wagon provides. Too much weight is a bad thing. Keep all the extra's to a minimum to keep the weight down.

load the heaviest where the back seat would be when down

i managed to stuff an entire xt6 suspension, tranny, driveshaft, rear diff, 4 wheels, a spare, and 2 seats. all in the back of the wagon. the tranny was over the seat, the suspension parts over the axle.

car was rather balanced

anything else would have went on top!

i think that's a great idea. i've been wasting that space for years. most people don't have that space under water long enough for that to be a concern, and basic tools etc won't care anyway. i wouldn't put my sleeping bag under there, but using that space would just give me that much more room for tackle, etc on excertions. space is an issue for sure w/ a hatchback.

thank you dante, you've given me ideas.

ken's right us wagons start stuffing too much in the car... that's why i'm going with a roof rack!! just kidding that's not the real reason. it'ls to clear space for other things. put the tools and tire on the roof. so i can stow weapons and grocery's in the back :D

that way i could also sleep backthere. cause with my tools there's no room.

but anyways. i think that place would be a good place to store things. it's about the only semi dry place under the hood of my car when i go mudding. i'll be storing air tanks there. for my future project "on board air." i got most the major parts. just need the tanks and lines now.

ya know i've been contemplating ways to use that space on my lifted hatch... my spare is on teh roof in a rack.. so the space under the hood is wasted.. guess i'll have to figure somethin out.. maybe weld in some sheetmetal with a sliding lid and rubber seal.... would be perfect for cables, bungee cords, and some basic tools...

my hatch won't be going scuba diving like it did in the past so theres no need for me to worry about water.. the most i ever see there is mud spots..

I think you should do something like the old LandRover and bolt the spare to the hood!:banana: :banana: :banana:

(sure you can't see but it would look so cool!)

How about taking a spin from the 50's cars and have a "Contenental" spare tire embossed in the hood so you can store larger tires under it?:eek:

Just a thought?

Glenn

82 Summer, no spare tire mount yet..........

01 Forester, wants a swing-a-way spare tire mount.......

Originally posted by Sweet82

How about taking a spin from the 50's cars and have a "Contenental" spare tire embossed in the hood so you can store larger tires under it?:eek:

Sweet82, I think you’re on to something here, the forward edge of the tire would hit the hood first so a properly place hood bubble or scoop could be all you need. Then again if the tire is MUCH larger you’re gonna run into clearance problems at the firewall pocket and the air cleaner. Still, I like the idea of an open hood scoop (impreza maybe) with the edge of a meaty off road tire showing. :headbang:

Gary

My first "goofy idea" thread was about cutting a hole in the hood for a larger spare.

last night, I checked out what it would take to fit my 205/75/14 Cooper STTs under the hood of my '83 wagon. If you remove the stock spare tire support, which is too narrow, and shove the spare as far as possible into the recess under the cowl, the front edge of the spare just sits on the edge of the factory air filter. With a custom spare tire support and a weber with aftermarket airfilter, the "hood scoop" idea might just work.

Am I missing something --- I am able to store a full size spare just fine under there.

Heat is of some concern - not sure what long-term consequences it may have.

One problem with the tire there is that the tranny stick is not eaisily accessible, I have to remove the tire to check tranny fluid.

How much higher would the hood need to be to clear the big tire anyway? I was thinking if it only took an inch or so, then maybe the rear of the hood could be jacked up where it connects to the hinges (you know like guys do with the rear lid on bugs to get cool air.) If that worked and didn't look totally stupid, some sheetmetal could be added around the sides to fill the gaps. Just another goofy idea...

Well, right now the front edge of my 26" tires sits on the edge of the stock air filter housing. The tire is about 8" wide, so I'd need 8" minus the clearance between the hood and the air filter housing.

I'm hoping that when I get my weber and intake in the tire will clear the intake. Then I might be able to fabricate a wider spare tire support and get the hood shut.