Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 98 O/B's timing belt jumped out of whack this week. Had it towed to the garage...they lined everything up and put the belt back on and it started up but........it makes a high pitched screaching sound,(from the cylinder head). They seem to thing one of the Camshaft bearings is killing itself.

That's most likely what made the timing belt skip....one cam was almost seized and everything else was turning so the belt probably jumped a few teeth on the camshaft pulley.

I'm thinking it would cost somewhere around $1200 to get it fixed ,assuming there's only the Camshaft and bearing to fix.

I've got over 325K kms on it and the body is starting to rust in the usual places so I'll probably send it to the scrap yard.......too bad, everything else works on it.:-\

that's an interference motor too so if the belt skipped enough teeth or broke the pistons will hit the valves. this can result in a bent valve or worse...so yeah this is going to be an expensive fix if you're paying someone to do it.

you could also entertain the idea of buying a used EJ22 and installing it. i can pick those up from a yard, with warranty for $150. you could probably sell your old EJ25 for that - scrap or someone may want it for parts since they tend to have lots of issues anyway. so for a few hundred, or a couple months of another car payment, for installation you could get a nice EJ22 with all new timing belts and a couple more years out of your wagon.