Ultimate Subaru Message Board

never had the breaker bar- turn the starter method fail but this 1999 2.5 wont budge. car started fine so I thought it had enough juice before pulling #1 to find TDC. just stops dead when I hit the key, maybe battery doesn't have enough crank for that much torque? can't find the "right" tool any where, working on a spanner now but I thought I'd see if there were any other tricks since the fail safe finally did.

What I usually do is go in through the rubber timing mark plug that is on the right rear near the bell housing. I take a brake adjustment spoon, the 45

degree bent end and I lock this into the flywheel teeth while applying some torque. Once you feel it grip, you can bust it loose. Works for torquing them

to the 130 ft lbs spec also.

finally came loose. :banana: break spoon wouldnt lock in even holding it it clicked past like a card in bike spokes. charged the battery all afternoon and reconnected #1 plug I guess it needs the full kick of the engine and still took 3 more tries to break loose. :confused: one stuborn @%$*#$