Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some mpg data on the Justy

I had posted this while the main board was down, so here's an update so people can find it on the main board.

1991 4 door 4wd fuel injected Justy.

This summer I was running Michelin Harmony all season tires, 175/70/R13 (a tad oversized from the stock 155/70R13 for that car). Running at 45psi. About a month ago I switched to Hankook W409 Ipike studded snow tires, same size, 40psi.

With the summer tires, the best tank was 41mpg. Worst was 32.4mpg. With the snowtires, the best tank was 38.5mpg. Worst was 31mpg. I haven't gotten any of the drift bashing conditions yet -- my old GL dropped from aroudn 26 average to around 22 doing drift bashing....

The best tanks were on road trips -- mostly highway driving. The worst ones were commuting (20 miles each way, floored in 3rd or 4th on the way up, coasting in 5th most the way down). I could probably improve it around town by not accelerating so fast -- but it's got enough extra pep over my old GL that it's hard to resist the temptation.

The studded tires sure are nice (our first real snow of the year today, finally). Way better grip than the all season's had -- I was playing around with skidding this morning, and it tends to skid in a very straight line if you hit the brakes hard enough to lock the wheels -- pretty nice. I wasn't doing any of the tail wagging or such that alot of cars were... I floored it once in 2nd gear and didn't spin out or anything (an advantage of a 75 horsepower engine :)

I see you flogging that thing all the time.. Does everything you own have a billion lights on it?:lol::)

Uh... not everything. But I keep adding more to most of them. I just got one of the orange xenon strobe lights that construction trucks have for the suby (okay.. there's really only about twice a year that I could legitimately use that.. when I have to pull over on the road up the canyon and remove a fallen tree from it... but it's fun :-p I'll get a pic of it in the snow this weekend and post it.

Anyway, yeah, I see other members cars quite often here in Boulder -- usually only recognize the lifted ones, but I'm sure there's others that I see but don't know are members. And, there are three people in my town of 200 that have Justy's.... what are the chances of that?