Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'86 Subaru Standard questions

I got an '86 Subaru Standard yesterday for $100. I'm hoping it's going to be really good on gas. It's straight, has no rust at all, and it runs but I'm going to need some parts (clutch cable, maybe a clutch, needs exhaust leak fixed). I'm not finding a lot looking for Subaru Standard, so I was wondering if i should just look for parts for an EA71 or DL or GL hatchback or what? Thanks for any help.

first off.figure out what motor you have(stamped on the block nextish to the disty.

that will tell you ea71,ea81 etc.

next,the gl dl is just a trim package.

hatches are the same beast as brats in that,the years go beyond the normal ea81 yr range being 80/81 to 84.

so find out your engine style and you can pretty much go from there.then do you have a d/r transmission?meaning a dual range 4 wheel drive?all basic stuff that i am sure you will pick up easily.cheers, and good luck,there is plenty of knowledge here for you.cheers, brain

+1 for 1.6L/EA-71 :) I checked out some parts sites and they all point to a 1.6L & an EA-71 fits the bill.

Which brings up the obvious - just ask for parts that fit a Subaru Standard. Each parts store have automatic interchange part info as aftermarket parts seem to be oh-so generic these days.

thanks for the info. It is a 1.6 EA71, 2wd:-\, but that's okay since I have my Brats and I'm going for good gas mileage. Some of the parts stores don't seem to have a listing for a Standard so I just wanted to make sure that if I told them a DL hatch it would be the same.

ttiwwop

too bad you caugha a SDT I thought people try to avoid them :lol:

ttiwwop (I can't figure this one out), SDT (or this one, either). Geez, do I feel old!! Please explain them to me.

After looking at it, we found that it didn't need a cable or a clutch. The spot weld broke where to cable connects to the clutch pedal. All it needed was a quick weld :banana:. We're going to find the exhaust leak in the morning then run it through emissions. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow

DSC00377-1.jpg