Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok,

What's the overall opinion of the best way to rotate tires on a 4 wheel rotation(no spare). I have seen two different patterns for all wheel drive. I see that Subaru recommends the easy:

back left to front left, then front to back

back right to front right, then front to back.

I also see another method where you start at the back left, putting that on front left, left front to rear right, rear right to right front, then right front to rear left where we began.

Any opinions???????????????????????/

Ken

Survey the tire sites and you'll see just about every pattern.

For AWD, they usually suggest the Front to Back with no cross over as the first choice.

However, I've seen the FWD pattern suggested (rears cross onto fronts, fronts straight back) since many AWD systems these days are more FWD than anything. (Those "on demand" systems.)

I have also seen the "X" pattern suggested.

The latter 2 will reverse tire rotation direction, and give you the most even wear possible. (I'm assuming non-unidirectional tires here.)

I've done all of these with my current tires. They have a slight tendency to feather, so I have to get them over to the other side to counter it. I've even gone so far as to have the tires swapped side to side once.

You'll get various opinions. Do what you are comfortable with. Look up the tire site of the manufacturer of tire that you are running. See what they say.

Commuter

I'd encourage you to get a full size spare and include it in the rotation pattern.

If you ever encounter non-repaiable tire damage, you'll have a real spare of the correct circumference and not get caught in the "Do I need four new tires" delema.

Plus, you won't have to pay full retail to a weasel tire dealer if your away from home on a trip.

my Forester has a full size spare and no one has ever rotated it.

This means the sucker is noticeably larger and I would only dare to put it on my 5 speed car in an emergency.

When I called a shop on not rotating it they said, "We just leave them there untill the next time you buy tires."

At that point it was already too late as several shops had done the same thing.