Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission drain plug & rear diff. drain plug gasket?

Hi all,

I called the dealership today to see if they have the gasket for the transmission drain plug and the rear diff. drain plug. But the guy said I don't need a new one. However, when I read the FSM for 97 OBS it says ALWAYS use a new one.

Anyone knows what should I do?

------------------------------------

98 OBS 184k 5MT

the don't know if the rear diff uses a washer, does the plug have a head on it, i can't remember.

the trans drain plug uses the same crush washer as the engine drain plug. maybe the front diff too.

i have some crush washers available if you need them, 5 for 2.50$ plus shipping, ~1.00$.

10 for 5.00$... etc.

Edited by johnceggleston

the don't know if the rear diff uses a washer, does the plug have a head on it, i can't remember.

the trans drain plug uses the same crush washer as the engine drain plug. maybe the front diff too.

i have some crush washers available if you need them, 5 for 2.50$ plus shipping, ~1.00$.

10 for 5.00$... etc.

will they work on my 5MT and rear diff? And yes, the FMS said Aluminum Gasket so it's probably a washer.:lol:

yes, fits engine drain plug, auto trans drain plug, manual trans drain plug and auto trans front diff drain plug, impreza, legacy and forester, 93 - 04.

????auto front diff/manual trans drain plugs are WAY bigger than the oil pan and trans pan plugs???

Rear diff plug doesn't use a washer/gasket/

• 6 years later...

STOP.

I hate bad/sloppy information and am compelled to post here.

The oil drain plug washer and the ATF drain plug washer ARE NOT NOT NOT the same, at least on my 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R. 

I know this because I just did a drain and fill and tried using an oil drain plug washer on the ATF drain plug, and it leaks. Many Subaru parts sites list the ATF and oil washers as BEING THE SAME ONE. They are not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comparing the two washers, the ATF one is approx the same size outer circumference but the inside circumference is noticeably smaller than the oil washer.  The ATF washer also appears to be made of a bronze or copper colored metal that is more stout than the aluminum oil washers. 

After I put the old ATF washer back on, surprise, no more leak. 

I would encourage people to spread the world. 

P.S. A size 50 Torx bit is needed on my car to get the ATF plug off.

the crush washer for the engine oil pan and the auto trans oil pan are the same, 95 - 99,

probably 90 - 04.

the FRONT diff oil drain plug is a Torx plug and it is a different size.

i do not know about 05 and up.

engine oil drain plug, item #9

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_25/lubrication_system/oil_pan/illustration_2/

trans oil drain plug, item #3

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_25/automatic_transmission/at_transmission_case/illustration_7/

click on the part number and then the ''usage info'' to see what cars use this part.

Edited by johnceggleston

IIRC, 05+ 5MT drain plug is a T70 torx and has a different gasket than the oil pan (haven't had my 9-2x in a while).

But for the 89-04 (4EAT), the oil drain plug gasket and the transmission oil pan gasket are the same. Rear diff does not use a gasket, but I think the FSM recommends a non-hardening thread sealer? I've never used one and haven't had a problem. It's a taper thread and should seal itself when properly torqued.