Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hub Puller Yoke Slide Hammer axle

Just wondering if anyone KNOWS of a SPECIFIC yoke that definitely fits the Forester standard lug pattern so I can slide hammer this beeyatch hub out of the knuckle. The 5 star lug pattern measures 6.0 cm between nearest lug bolt centers. And 9.50 cm between furthest lug bolt centers. Big thanks if anyone can help. (All sorts of slide hammers with yokes available on the web, but, ahem.....hellooooo sellers, if you don't provide accurate specs in your description of the tool, how can I tell if it will fit my car?)

I think that sounds perfect, but I don't have the old brake rotor.

What do you think about putting the slide hammer rod thru the rotor, then attaching the washers and nut and yanking it out like that? Do you think the odds of damaging the hub are too high?

This brings up a good point, my bro the mechanic warns that you might damage the axle using this forcing screw design of hub remover cuz it stresses the axle. Subaru uses the slide hammer method.

Anyone ever damage their axle using the screw press method?

(oh, btw, Advance Auto DOES have the adapter to fit the Subaru lug nut pattern...you just need to ask 4 different clerks about it until you find the person who knows wtf is up in his store. :-\

Powerbilt Kit #41 provides the slide hammer, Kit #40 provides the adapter yoke that fits Subaru)

Not sure it would be forcing against the end of the axle shaft which is just steel or cast iron or whatever it is. It does seem that with the forcing method though it might start to push the axle stub out of the hub but the hub might still be stuck in the bearing housing? Until the axle can't compress any more then it might be putting lateral force against the joints?

axle-male-end-1-md.jpg

Edited by porcupine73

I was wondering about that myself. Haven't needed to pull a hub yet. But if the FSM says use a slide hammer, I'd just screw one on to the puller yoke. The OTC puller is designed for that, the same yoke is included in some of their slide hammer kits.

I bought the puller because I have an axle job coming up. I want to have it on hand in case the axle is stuck so I don't have to hunt one down in the middle of the job. 'Course, since I have it, the axle will probably just slide out with no fuss.