Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Off Road Bumper Project

Markus56

I pulled a grill guard off a junkyard Isuzu pickup. Its the perfect width to wrap around the front of the car. Really lightweight too. only about 20 pounds

Gonna modify it to replace the the plastic bumper and throw on some extra lights. I also want to incorporate a skid plate into the front to protect the now exposed radiator.

Pics when i get home!

HPickup%20Brush%20Grille%20Guard.jpg

What it looks like

Freakin rain. cant weld stuff till it stops.

So far:

PICT0017.JPG

Sort of what it will look like:

PICT0020.JPG

Still a lot of stuff missing. Bracing and such

you know that it isnt gonna protect against trees,rocks,stumps,etc but it will protect against tall grass.
I am aware of that. The upper thing is mostly for looks.

And doors of other cars. :D

Edited by Markus56

I would narrow it a few inches so it doesnt stick out so far.

The width could cause it to get caught up more off road, but will prob offer better protection for the side markers too. Overall, not a bad fit, for being non-stock. I likes it! :banana:

oh come on you can do a better job than that its a good idea but i hope your not calling it done you need to make the botom of the bumper to all that looks like is a brush gard welded to the car thats a hak job my friend you need to make some thing to cover the frame part of the car where the horn and junk is looks good so far tough:banana:

It's not done.

I cleaned off the rust and put on a coat of paint today. :banana:

I get paid on Friday, so i will get more steel to make a guard for the lower portion. I'm thinking some steel pipe that will fit underneath and wrap around the sides of the front of the car.

oh come on you can do a better job than that its a good idea but i hope your not calling it done you need to make the botom of the bumper to all that looks like is a brush gard welded to the car thats a hak job my friend you need to make some thing to cover the frame part of the car where the horn and junk is looks good so far tough
What? could you please edit this with some punctuation? :-p

The width could cause it to get caught up more off road, but will prob offer better protection for the side markers too. Overall, not a bad fit, for being non-stock. I likes it! :banana:

I don't know if the front plate is even required? The back's the only one that gets tabs.

id worry more about turn signals