Ultimate Subaru Message Board

boot flap size

Robs right, they are about 4 inches square, I don't have a tape measure right now though, so I couldn't be exact. For those that have never seen em before, you can see em in this picture:

muffler.jpg

There is one on the far left, you can see a little of it, the one just to the left of the diff, and the one on the far right (the T on the tire is pointing at it.) They attach to the torsion tube on the EA81's, but I have seen em on 4WD EA82's too.

Wow, what a great idea!

I never was sure just what the heck those brackets were for. Maybe I'll make some up.

Does anybody know if these things actually work? I would imagine that they would at least prevent damage from branches and small debris that gets flung up from time to time.

As GD was saying, some Aussi's have made big rubber flaps to protect their boots from trail and rock damage. I myself have never ripped a healthy boot on rocks or logs but maybe I haven't tried hard enough. I guess I almost trashed an axle once but my mustache bars hit the log first. I bet flying rocks from gravel roads are the main reason for the OEM flaps.

Here's the flap pics that are on http://www.subaclub.com./ (in the "tech" section.)

flap_3.jpg

flap_4.jpg

flap_1.jpg

flap_2.jpg