Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission, starting, ecm, CEL?

I have a 93 legacy L, here's the symptoms:

1. slow to turn over in cold

2. Check Engine Light has been coming on and off periodically for 6 months, usually either when I start or a mile or 2 after that (typically only for a minute or so). Seems to run fine, but I've now noticed that when it goes off, it accelerates just slightly for a second.

3. more recently I've noticed that when driving on the highway it doesn't seem to reach 4th gear (or the highest one...) as easily as it used to. At first I thought it was just cold, but on a recent long trip it the RPMs stayed around 3 instead of the usual 2-2.5 and I went through more gasoline (2/3 tank instead 1/2 as usaul).

4. a few months ago I noticed the "D" light doesn't come on, but the others do [PRND321]. I thought this could just be a burnt-out LED since it is 10 years old, but someone suggested that it could be the ECM with the above.

I think that's it...

Here's what I've done over the summer:

new spark plugs (not wires), air filter, PCV, did a partial change of transmission (ATF- Valvoline higher milage) (didn't chage filter because I didn't know it existed), did differential gears, changed the wheel bearings (front), and I've been using synthetic oil

Any ideas?