Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 wiring diagrams

jrettenmayer

Anyone have copies of the EJ22 wiring schematics for a 1990 Legacy? I'm working on pulling the wiring harness, and the schematics in the EJ writeup are quite helpful, but still missing a lot - I'm trying to label and figure out what's what so I don't miss anything.

Maybe a write-up exists that details the wiring a little more in-depth?

Also - if you need any parts off a 90 Legacy, let me know. I have almost a whole car that going to the junkyard after I pull the harness/engine/ecu. everything but the driver's side strut and fender are there.

another link that might help. This is the page I send out with the harnesses that I do.

http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/Files/Harness%20info.pdf

Strip the EJ harness down to just engine-control stuff, and then splice those wires in wherever you can grab them. most of them can be found behind the gauge cluster, so I pull that out, and splice as needed.

Ok. Thanks for all your help so far! I need to get the harness pulled out completely I think before I can really make any sense of this!

obviously the engine control stuff is the stuff hooked up to the engine...what else controls the engine? I need the ignition and fuel pump relays, and the VSS, temp, and oil pressure wires. Its probably easier than I'm making it out to be, but whoa! there's an overwhelming amount of wires under the dash! I'm so confused...I wish I had the cash to send the harness out - seems like the easy/best thing to do, but I still have to get the adapter plate!

Is it necessary to get the freshly machined flywheel, or can I make due with the old flywheel (just grinding out the holes to match the EJ flywheel)? Will putting a new clutch on the old flywheel surface be problematic in the long run?

another link that might help. This is the page I send out with the harnesses that I do.

http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/Files/Harness%20info.pdf

Strip the EJ harness down to just engine-control stuff, and then splice those wires in wherever you can grab them. most of them can be found behind the gauge cluster, so I pull that out, and splice as needed.

Looks good Chux, you are great at these write-ups!:) Can't wait to get mine going.:brow::headbang:

Is there a list of the "engine control stuff" anywhere? I'm assuming that it's all the wiring on the engine (looks to me like basically those three big connectors on the drivers side of the engine, coming into the engine bay just under the main fuse/relay box. And also a handful of wires coming in from the middle of the firewall (it looks like the cam angle sensor enters there - and some other stuff I've not dissected out yet - anyone know what a "dropping resistor" is and do I need to keep it?).

Basically, what needs to be kept beyond the wiring that obviously goes to the engine? Wires to splice into the gauges? How about from the main relay/fuse box?

Part of my troubles here are that I don't yet have real good diagrams to go off of (I have a Haynes manual). Numchux's digrams have been real helpful, but I can't tell if they are incomplete or I'm just dumb...

Thanks for all your help people.