Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ22 wiring diagrams

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jrettenmayer

jrettenmayer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:26 PM

Anyone have copies of the EJ22 wiring schematics for a 1990 Legacy? I'm working on pulling the wiring harness, and the schematics in the EJ writeup are quite helpful, but still missing a lot - I'm trying to label and figure out what's what so I don't miss anything.

Maybe a write-up exists that details the wiring a little more in-depth?

Also - if you need any parts off a 90 Legacy, let me know. I have almost a whole car that going to the junkyard after I pull the harness/engine/ecu. everything but the driver's side strut and fender are there.

#2 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,738 posts
  • Saginaw, MN

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

engine wiring and ECU pinouts here:
http://www.numbchuxc...m/downloads.htm

#3 jrettenmayer

jrettenmayer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

Awesome! You rock! :headbang:

#4 jrettenmayer

jrettenmayer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

Not trying to sound like an idiot here - I read through the conversion write-up - but where does the EJ22 harness get spliced into the EA82 harness? I'm starting to feel like I bit off more than I can chew...

#5 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,738 posts
  • Saginaw, MN

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:51 PM

another link that might help. This is the page I send out with the harnesses that I do.
http://www.numbchuxc...arness info.pdf

Strip the EJ harness down to just engine-control stuff, and then splice those wires in wherever you can grab them. most of them can be found behind the gauge cluster, so I pull that out, and splice as needed.

#6 jrettenmayer

jrettenmayer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:21 PM

Ok. Thanks for all your help so far! I need to get the harness pulled out completely I think before I can really make any sense of this!

obviously the engine control stuff is the stuff hooked up to the engine...what else controls the engine? I need the ignition and fuel pump relays, and the VSS, temp, and oil pressure wires. Its probably easier than I'm making it out to be, but whoa! there's an overwhelming amount of wires under the dash! I'm so confused...I wish I had the cash to send the harness out - seems like the easy/best thing to do, but I still have to get the adapter plate!

Is it necessary to get the freshly machined flywheel, or can I make due with the old flywheel (just grinding out the holes to match the EJ flywheel)? Will putting a new clutch on the old flywheel surface be problematic in the long run?

#7 cmiller

cmiller

Flat 4

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • Tigard, OR

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:39 AM

another link that might help. This is the page I send out with the harnesses that I do.
http://www.numbchuxc...arness info.pdf

Strip the EJ harness down to just engine-control stuff, and then splice those wires in wherever you can grab them. most of them can be found behind the gauge cluster, so I pull that out, and splice as needed.

Looks good Chux, you are great at these write-ups!:) Can't wait to get mine going.:brow::headbang:

#8 jrettenmayer

jrettenmayer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:06 AM

Is there a list of the "engine control stuff" anywhere? I'm assuming that it's all the wiring on the engine (looks to me like basically those three big connectors on the drivers side of the engine, coming into the engine bay just under the main fuse/relay box. And also a handful of wires coming in from the middle of the firewall (it looks like the cam angle sensor enters there - and some other stuff I've not dissected out yet - anyone know what a "dropping resistor" is and do I need to keep it?).

Basically, what needs to be kept beyond the wiring that obviously goes to the engine? Wires to splice into the gauges? How about from the main relay/fuse box?

Part of my troubles here are that I don't yet have real good diagrams to go off of (I have a Haynes manual). Numchux's digrams have been real helpful, but I can't tell if they are incomplete or I'm just dumb...

Thanks for all your help people.

#9 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,809 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:05 AM

There are some differences in wiring between the 90 & 92 legacies.

Here are the wiring diagrams for the 90 Legacy
http://main.experien...ng_Diagrams.zip

#10 jrettenmayer

jrettenmayer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

Ahhh....that stuff makes a bit more sense - thanks! :banana:

0 user(s) are reading this topic