Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I picked up a 1982 Mazda pick-up...

Right, so I got this '82 Mazda Pick up for free :banana: not running. Its a hulk of junk, to me anyway, but I am thinking of whether or not it would be wise to try to use some of the parts for an Off road Subaru...

It has a rather narrow solid rear axle. Does anyone have any idea how strong one of those might be, or what gear ratios it might have?

It also is all 6 lug (yay) and came with rusty chrome 14" wheels (also yay), so i plan on putting either some TSL's or my Mud Monsters on them as a set of Off-road only wheels.

Would any of you know if the bellhousing can be separated from the tranny like an old Chevy or Ford 4 speed? If it can be taken off, is there even a remote chance this tranny could be married to a Nissan transfer case?

The motor has no carb on it, but it has an adapter for a Weber 32/36 on it, so Im trying to get the Weber from the guy as well to put on my dad's Toyota, is there any chance that the adapter for the Mazda 4 cylinder will also fit the Toyota 22R as well?

Are there any real parts of interest for anyone on this board? If you need/want a part, let me know, Ill give away anything I dont want to experiment with... The cab is shot, but the bed is in rather decent shape, no rust that I noticed, but no tailgate. There is a clear title if you want the frame/body after I pull my parts. The front bumper and turn signals are toast, as a strap broke and the truck slid off the trailer at a stop sign :eek: But the grill seems OK.

Mostly I just wanted some input on my thoughts of using parts from a Mazda on a Subaru..... Any thoughts/ideas are welcome :grin:

-Bill

well, looks like I *might* be able to acquire a totalled out '97 Isuzu Rodeo 2wd as well... My buddy's sister just got T-boned by a semi.... Luckily she is OK, but the car I here is toast, but it was pretty nice. It has the 6 lug wheels and a solid axle with DISC BRAKES (i know they are good, I changed the pads on Saturday :-\) and if I get it I will be using that axle instead of the Mazda axle. Also the Rodeo has 16" wheels, if they are all good *and* IF i acquire them they will be for sale....

-Bill

If the front wheel bearings are any good on the mazda can you put them in an envelop and mail them this way?The ones on my 83 are shot,and Im too poor to afford 40 bucks in wheel bearings,especially after changing the rear main and transmission output shaft...

If the front wheel bearings are any good on the mazda can you put them in an envelop and mail them this way?The ones on my 83 are shot,and Im too poor to afford 40 bucks in wheel bearings,especially after changing the rear main and transmission output shaft...

They should be good, Ill check them out. Might be a week or 2 before I pull anything though

-Bill