Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifter cleaning and fuel gauging

Hi all new to this forum and glad I found it.

I've read plenty of info from previous posts on lifter ticks and wanted some input on a cleaning technique I've heard about.

BTW I have a 96 Legacy with the EJ22 engine.

Here's the cleaning procedure.

Mix 2qts to 2qts of 10W30 with Tranny fluid run through engine a few miles and change fluid or mix 3qts tranny fluid to 1qt oil and run for a few miles and change fluid.

Sounds pretty radical, but any ideas if this would be even safe to do?

The other thing I have had a constant problem with is when I get to about 1/4 tank of gas the gauging gets really flaky. Going to E or lower then coming back up to above 1/4. Any adjustments I can do to the probe or gauging system in general?

What's to clean? I have been made to understand the valve train is all mechanical. Check the thread on "Baja valves" and pull up the cobb tuning enclosure for pictures of what is under the valve covers. No hydraulic lash adjusters and that is what you have outlined for the EJ22. I think all that tranny fluid in the engine will do more harm than good.

Replace the instrument panel voltage regulator and your gas gage will settle down. Maybe the local Subaru dealer service writer or the parts guy can tell you exactly where it is located. It should be a plug-in on the forward side (away from the driver toward the front of the car) of the instrument cluster. Have fun trying to get to it!

So then whats ticking? The cam isnt actually pushing the rocker arms is it? Perhaps a tappet that I can shim to get rid of the ticking? Nice pics at Cobb tuning. Not sure that it applies to my engine. Mine is 2.2L EJ22.

Thanks for the info on the fuel gauging and yeah I don't think I am gonna run trans fluid through engine.