Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Re-Buliding a Starter...Whats Involved??

Guest JER2911

Well, due to the lack of response on another post about my girlfriends starter going out on her '94 Impreza...I thught I try this again...

Ok, I cheesed the starter on her car trying to "prime" the oil pump after her last oil change - anyway, now the car makes the grinding sound really bad! - Some times it will humm/whine and then make the grinder sound after about 2-8 times the car will finally start...so. Does anyone know what the prob is?

I really don't want to have to buy a new starter if I don't have to - I think I could re-bulid one if someone could help me out on whats involved etc. etc. - a new starter is $150 + :eek: - Goodnight!

She is currently un-employed so I was wanting to help her out, but pay day is Friday so maybe I'll wait 'til then and bless her with a new starter. Anyway, thanks!!

Jordan

Guest gbhrps

You say that it makes a grinding sound when asked to start the car. I'm assuming that the starter itself is fine, but that the Bendix gear is toast. When the starter fires up, centrifigal force forces the small gear on the end of the starter to move to the end of its shaft, where the gear will now contact the big ring gear on the flywheel of the motor, turning the motor over, and starting the car. When you release the starter, a strong spring pulls the Bendix gear back to its original location away from the ring gear. Typically (and I hope I have this right) that small gear is made of a soft steel in order to absorb this abuse, and not pass it on the the ring gear, which is made of a harder steel, and much more of a pain to change and pay for if it were to go bad. You get a grinding sound when the gear is worn to the point that it will no longer mess with the ring gear, or if the starter is lose and not allowing the gears to mesh properly, or....if the ring gear has gone bad. You can tell pretty quickly what your individual problem is when you start to remove the starter. If its lose..you have to check to see if any gears got buggered up and replace them if they are in top shape. Maybe you'll get lucky and everything will be fine if you tighten it up. If the Bendix gear is bad, usually it can be replaced by an auto/electric repaire facility. Once the starter is removed, you'll even be able to see and feel the teeth on the ring gear to know what shape its in. Good Luck!