Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'94 Imprezza Smelling funky...???

She says it " does it all the time"...I personally noticed it after we'd been driving back from a town about 45 miles away and were dropping a friend off at her house, soooo...I'm assuming it's when it's hot...she does alot of city driving for her job....if it's the cat what can I do? Do I need to buy a new one??? Thnaks...

Jordan

Originally posted by JER2911

She says it " does it all the time"...I personally noticed it after we'd been driving back from a town about 45 miles away and were dropping a friend off at her house, soooo...I'm assuming it's when it's hot...she does alot of city driving for her job....if it's the cat what can I do? Do I need to buy a new one??? Thnaks...

Jordan

Uhm...yeah, I think so. I don't think there's anything you can do to "fix" a cat. (Yes, I know, BIG setup for a joke, please leave it alone you looneys) You could always go to some muffler shops nearby and see what it would cost to replace it. I know replacing my own cat would be a B***H to do, it's pretty rusty. (Damn one liners). Anyway, before I type out anymore pun fodder, that's my take on it. Good Luck!

The reponses to your complaint are probably on the money, but consider these too:

Changing brands of gasoline can change the smell of your exhaust.

I put a couple of bottles of Techcron in the 'ru and had a strong burnt grass oder. (probably addded too much)

Fuel injector died during another episode of stange exhaust smells. The cat was probably overloaded with gas as the injector failed.

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to change it until you're sure its a problem.