Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carbed to SPFI???

You can run the SPFI on a carb block - no problem there. In fact - there's at least one guy who has put the SPFI on an EA81. You will need to change the disty, and get the complete wireing harness / SPFI assembly from another car. The ECU has to be wired in, etc. It's certainly doable.

Now as for running turbo on and SPFI..... it can be done at low boost levels. In fact the same EA81 that has the SPFI, also had turbo added later if I recall.

Get a hold of rguyver - he's still around sometimes. He can tell you all about it.

GD

well i jsut want spfi for now, and turbo, long down the road, my dad would find out and kill me, because i promised him that i would TRY to not mod this car too. lol.

dont i just need the ECM and enging wiing harness, as well as the SPFI system, bolt and go?? because my car has the ECM now for the carbed engine, and i was thinking of pulling the carb harness and ECM and swap in the otehr, plus the other SPFI when i have it together.

i was tinking it was strait forward, and not as complex as a chevy V8 carbed to FI which ive done many a time.

Originally posted by The Scooby

i was tinking it was strait forward, and not as complex as a chevy V8 carbed to FI which ive done many a time.

I dont think you will have many problems since you are familiar with going FI from carb. You dont need the heads at all. Just the intake manifold and everything that is attached to it. That's really the central nverouse system to the SPFI engine. plug all that junk into the ECU and you should be good to go.

Don't forget that you need to change out the fuel delivery system. The SPFI works at pressures of 40psi and above. So you would need the highpressure pump, and to run a new fuel delivery hose. The Carb'd supply hose works great for the return. I'm not sure, but on an EA82 you may have to change out the tank for this to work properly. Lotsa luck.

Originally posted by Adam N.D.J.

Don't forget that you need to change out the fuel delivery system. The SPFI works at pressures of 40psi and above. So you would need the highpressure pump, and to run a new fuel delivery hose. The Carb'd supply hose works great for the return. I'm not sure, but on an EA82 you may have to change out the tank for this to work properly. Lotsa luck.

Good call Adam; I totaly forgout about needing the fuel pump. Shouldnt need the tank.