Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just a simple question...

Guest TuningPegs

what are the differences between teh outback and the legacy's...the only differences i see are prices..and the name ofcourse...

thanks

-sam

:)

Guest tcspeer

I have a 97 Subaru Legacy Wagon, and when I see the Outback it looks like a much heavyier built Wagon then mine. I don't know the real difference but I would think a lot would be in supenison and height.

Guest Legacy777

mechanically....not a whole hell of a lot. When it originally came out, it was just a legacy with some extra trim options and suspension.

Subaru is marketing it as it's own line.....IMO it will always be a legacy.

About the only thing you'll get is slightly higher ground clearance and different styling.

Guest Commuter

It depends on which generation you are looking at.

The OB was nothing more than a "trim" level of a wagon in 1995 to my understanding. First year the name existed.

1996 to 1999

They took the wagon and made a bunch of changes. The roofline was bumped up (but doors and windows unaffected). Bumpers changed to more "rugged" look. The suspension was redone to give the wagon roughly 2" more ride height. Longer travel in the suspension, not just a lift. 15" wheels, not 14; larger brakes. 2.5L engine only. Probably some other things I'm not thinking of right now. Eg, a fake scoop in the hood. Roof rails standard I believe. 2 tone paint scheme (grey/silver lower panels). Etc. I have a 97 OB. Note that some of these differences are shared. Eg, the Legacy 2.5 GT has the same size wheel and brakes I believe.

2000+

I don't know as much about these. I think there is only one body style. That is, they "bumped" the roofline partially, and use it for the OB and Wagon. Cladding on the OB. Again, the raised suspension. Not sure if the bumpers are different or not. H6 engine first introduced only in the Outback top models. And probably other stuff.

This site www.cars101.com should give you a run down of all the differences.

Commuter