Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radio fix on the cheap?

FlyB0y

Ok, I found 2 possible items on a thread from 2006, I have engine noise interfering with the AM reception on my stock radio. Some say just put in some shielded speaker wires, others talk about a ground wire for the ignition coil?

This has only started happening recently, and I haven't done anything with my coil, but I have been messing around with my dual battery set-up.

I know these are cheap radios, but I like the look of the stocker in my dash :).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

:banana:

Check the battery, body and engine grounds make sure they are good as well as tight. Are you running the batteries in parallel or did you use a isolator? I think for radio feedback with an isolator you should run another body ground.. I am just taking a stab at this since I never had feedback unless I ran power wire too close to speaker wires and patch cables.

Mike

dual battery setup? How to fix your problem cheap.

Get rid of that extra battery. Sell your extra battery for like 30 bucks cheap. This will fix your problem and you will have extra money in your pocket. Put it back to stock, way, and you won't have a problem.

Edited by bheinen74

Subaru's don't have filters on the alternator, although it is possible to install one. You should have a noise filtering capacitor on the igntion coil - look for a black wire running to a small metal cylinder - the other end of the cylinder will be another black wire running to a chassis ground. The wires are often broken at the cap, or the entire cap is just missing because people don't know what they do and when the car seemingly has not ill effects from it being broken or disconnected they are tossed.

You may want to get a cap filter for the alt as well.

GD

It would be nice to know what kind of noise you are picking up. Alternator noise makes a kind of whining noise and ignition noise is a pulsing type noise. A lot of times this problem can be solved by cleaning the ground connection of the antenna to the chassis of the car. Bad grounding is the first thing that should be looked at for this kind of thing in my book. Without a good ground connection the antenna lead shielding can't do its' job.

Thanks all for the info! :clap:

As for the sound, it's probably alternator, since it is directly related to the RPM's of the engine and the noise increases as engine RPM increases.

As for the dual battery, I have it running in parallel, but it also has an isolation switch in-case I want to run one battery down while parked, so that the isolated one will still be there to start up the engine.

I have had the dual battery system for years with no problems, only recently I removed the secondary one to put in a trailer to power my electric bike project.

I will see if that ground is needing attention. zzz