Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 wagon uberbeateruper adventuremobile

Zefy

• 1 year later...

I have taken the old beast out a few times since the above 'incident' but pretty much only just for camping and random stuff... Sunday I took it out to stave lake.

This is a dammed lake that consistently has a low water level making it a mud plane. Pretty well every weekend there are hundreds of trucks ripping around on it.

IMG_32011936x1288.jpg

IMG_32061936x1288.jpg

IMG_32191936x1288.jpg

Pretty fun. Got through some fairly hairy situations that left the full size trucks (aka, like the yukon in the picture) stuck but the wagon walked through.

TWO PROBLEMS.

This thing really doesn't like big mud splashing... I would get through the obstacle fine, but the car would die after and I would have to 'air it out' for 15-45 minutes before it would start again. Left me doing only shallow obstacles and going fairly slow... I'm sure somebody has come across such issues. The disty looks clean and dry and the filter is not getting wet. Spark plugs getting wet...? Backing up through the exhaust...?

Second... Car has mad locks. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't... I unlock the driver's side door, get in, close it, and it won't open again for a couple hours. Passenger side seems to be more 'stuck'. This car sits for months at a time without use... Potential cause...?

Good to see you got things going again Greg!!!!!! Should come on down below the line and play with us sometime.................

Check the Coil might be gettin water up in there somewhere...............

Jeff

good call on the coil. I'm going to get a bunch of dielectric grease and have a field day sealing this sucker up.

Now that I have a real peoples job I can finally spend money on fun times. Alas, I now have very little time for fun things...:-p

Let me know when your next big outing is and I'll try and get some time. Seems like every weekend now is either a autoX, rally, somebodies birthday or a mix of the three... This weekend it's autoX and a friend's birthday.

Let me know when your next big outing is and I'll try and get some time. Seems like every weekend now is either a autoX, rally, somebodies birthday or a mix of the three... This weekend it's autoX and a friend's birthday.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131268

this is the big one for us.....................

Jeff

I'm gonna print these off and give them to my old boss. He owns an independent Honda shop (yes I work/ed there) And to one of the techs...he is all Honda all the time..like we are with our subies...I always used to get crap for being the only suby guy in the shop...but hey, it was (and still is once in a while) a job.

I'm gonna print these off and give them to my old boss. He owns an independent Honda shop (yes I work/ed there) And to one of the techs...he is all Honda all the time..like we are with our subies...I always used to get crap for being the only suby guy in the shop...but hey, it was (and still is once in a while) a job.

have to admit I actually really like that honda. It was a great car until my buddy let his sister daily drive it into a ditch. Thing is totally kinked. We were parking my wagon in his backyard and we figured it was a good idea to try driving up on it.

horray for welded rear diff!:banana:

Those are great little hondas.

With some minor engine mods and suspension mods (performance, not rice), they handle like a little gocart around corners.

Sad to see one get tweaked. They're not really worth throwing on the frame machine :(

what tire/rim combo are you running? it looks really good under there.

15" peugeot wheels w/ 27" bfg mud terrains. Actual tire size is 215/75/15...

heavily cut fenders w/ 2" 'one eye' lift kit. kind of an odd spring strut combo though... Driver front and passenger rear are stock wagon struts/springs but the passenger front and driver rear is RX struts/springs. Car sits crooked...:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

mkay... so after my last outing with the wagon it started to develop a loud clunk clunk clunk coming from the passenger rear when turning RIGHT. To me, this noise sounds extremely similar to a "lunchbox" style locker when turning on pavement. Like aussie locker, lockrite, detroit locker... But only when I turn right...

I gave one eye a call and he was saying that the little wire keeper thing in the axle has popped out. I popped the boot off and it was fully seated. lame...

So being that I have a spare corner and a spare diff I figured it would replace everything except the CV as my spare was in pretty rough shape. After welding up my spare diff and removing the old one I am fairly certain that the diff is not the issue. There were some metal shavings in there but it runs smooth.

After feeling each inner joint of the axles, I'm not to sure that the passenger side is as happy as the drivers side. A bit of water came out of the boot too... The balls in there do not move smoothly but no visual damage can be seen.

Thoughts?

That sucks Thought I had figured it out for ya........ are the bearings good in the trailing arm? there isnt much else back there to make noise..... rear end, Axle Bearings bushings for the trailing arm........

Jeff