Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Leave No Trace

I am planning on taking the Leave No Trace Masters Program this fall. In order to do that I need to take the Trainer’s Workshop first. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining me for this class. I’m sure that if we got enough people interested we could have the Subaru-Leave No Trace Traveling Trainers come in their Limited Edition L.L. Bean Subaru Outbacks and teach the course. Also, I’ve heard that anyone who completes the Master’s Program can get good discounts on new Subarus!

I just want to get an idea of who might be interested before I contact Leave No Trace. Also, I wonder if they could get us a class discount because of our Subaru affiliation?!?

More info can be found at http://lnt.org/

~Connie

Leave No Trace is an organization that educates people about the importance of minimal impact training. We all know how to not litter. But it goes into things like, how many inches of dirt to bury grey water under so that no animals can smell it, and how many feet away from a water source one can "answer nature's call".

The class that I want to take takes two days to teach I think. For a total of like 12 hours of instruction.

I need to take the course by this summer in order to take the Master's course that I want to take. If I can get enough people together I'm sure that I can set it for whichever weekend is more convenient for everyone.

I know how nature oriented this group is. Many are hunters/fishers, or just enjoy the outdoors. I think it would be a fun group to take the course with.

~Connie

Leave No Trace had reps at the Taste Of Subaru event in Portland last year. I got one of the little books they handed out and was surprised to actually learn a thing or two from it. In some cases they might go overboard in their wilderness ethics, but given the thousands of newbies visiting the mountains these days I see a real need for clueing people in. There's just so many folks that go to REI and buy the gear then go trash the mountains. I meand it's great that people are getting out and about seeing our public lands (and hopefully voting to protect them,) but without some gentle instruction average humans can be like bulls in a china store. So after seeing that booklet and looking at the Leave No Trace website, I'll endorse what they do and commend the Wrench Wench for wanting to teach their stuff. Seems like a great career move too. If nothing else it's a cheap opportunity to practice public speaking, learn instruction skills and maybe be a stepping stone to business success. Looking at the class schedule, I see some of the classes happen in cool locations. It might be fun travelling to a nice place for the class rather than having the instructors come here. Just an idea.

How about NOLs? Is that in your plans too? I've known some NOLs grads and that program sounds tough but well worth it.

Originally posted by Wrench Wench

[

I know how nature oriented this group is. Many are hunters/fishers, or just enjoy the outdoors.

~Connie [/b]

I don't mean to take exception to your comment as I don't believe you meant any slight by it, but those who I hunt and fish with are more concerned about the environment and keeping the wilderness wild than most of the weekend warriors who venture out into the wilderness once in a while. I have certainly learned more from adventures with fellow hunters and fishermen about keeping the environment pristine than I would have from any other venue. Don't discount the knowledge, experience and intent of this group of outdoorspeople based on the selfish, drunken antics from a bunch of wannabes.

Northguy,

Thank you for knowing that I didn't mean any insult to the hunters and fishers in our group.

Mike W,

I know that NOLS and AMC split the master's courses. I don't know much about either organization beyond that. I will most likely be taking the Master's course from NOLS since they have two Washington locations.

The real reason why I am taking the courses is that I'm a Girl Scout leader. My council doesn't have any trainers currently so they are trying to build a team of trainers by offering a scholarship for the master's class. Of course, the chances are slim that I'll be chosen for the scholarship, but I figure I might as well try. And when I saw the Subaru affiliation, I knew that the ultimate subaru members would be a great group to take the prerequisites with.

~Connie