Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I backed the car out of the garage and put it on ramps to change the oil. I left it idling to warm the oil while I got everything else ready. Then there was some sputtering and it died. I started it and it died quickly and then it would not start. I changed the oil and then the car stated so I put it off to the side where it sat while I did an AT fluid change on my Honda. When I finished that and put things away I went to get the Suby. It had sat for about an hour. I started the Suby and let it run and it was idling fine. As I was about to enter the garage it sputtered and died. Attempts to start it got sputtering and death. I did notice that significant moisture had shot out the exhaust about 5 feet at this time. After about a half hour it started and I put it away.

Any ideas? Fuel filter? I probably should change it anyway. The car has the original filter, I think, since it only has 55K. What other possibilities?

Could be fuel, leaking injector, filter, pump. I'd also pull the plugs and inspect them, as nothing I know would cause this amount of water (if that is what it was) to shoot out the exhaust.

If it's a head gasket leak, you should smell the Anti freeze when its running.

The condition of the plugs will tell you what's going on.

Bad Gas?

Any Check Engine Light, if so get the codes.

the CEL was on after the car first acted stupid. When it started and was running it was off, after cutting out the light was on and when I put the car away it was off again.

Is the jump location near the computer? Where is the computer on this car? It is by the passenger's right foot on my Honda and I have pulled codes on that car.

I will check the plugs when I have a chance to get back to that car. There are not many miles on them, I know that. There was no antifreeze in the oil, I know that too.

Get the codes read first. your computer connector is the lower left hand side of the dash under a little cover.

This sounds like it may be a simple sensor dying, like a crank position sensor. Do not remove the battery cable or anything before you get the codes read.

How many miles on this car?

When was the last time the timing belt was changed?

Sometimes water vapor is just water vapor.

nipper

The car has 55K, going in for timing belt soon. I will be doing rear brakes too, for the first time. It does not get driven much. It was fine when I parked it a couple of weeks ago. It started and ran fine for 5 mins. before acting up today. It was also running fine when it started to put it away this evening. Once warm it was wacky.

Is the computer actually UP under the dash or in the side? I do not have an OBD2 unit, I have to jump it!

Edited by Bad Brian

The car has 55K, going in for timing belt soon. I will be doing rear brakes too, for the first time. It does not get driven much. It was fine when I parked it a couple of weeks ago. It started and ran fine for 5 mins. before acting up today. It was also running fine when it started to put it away this evening. Once warm it was wacky.

Is the computer actually UP under the dash or in the side?

WHY is it going in for a timing belt? Its a 105,000 mile interval or 105 months and you are no where near either.

The OBDII code reader has a plug it goes into, i think it is still on the dash on the left hand side in this year to read the codes. the codes are ONLY a tool and not to be taken literally all the time. If it comes up with a code for a crank position sensor I would believe it. there are not many things that make a subaru stall.

The car was built in 97 so age is the factor on the belt, not mileage. The other belts were cracked badly, I did them a couple of months ago. I checked the timing belt and while it looks and feels good I do not want to break it. These boxers are not interference engines but as a Honda owner the thought of T belt breakage is worrisome. My Civic is an 98 with 82K. That will be getting a belt also.

The car was built in 97 so age is the factor on the belt, not mileage. The other belts were cracked badly, I did them a couple of months ago. I checked the timing belt and while it looks and feels good I do not want to break it. These boxers are not interference engines but as a Honda owner the thought of T belt breakage is worrisome. My Civic is an 98 with 82K. That will be getting a belt also.

Ah i missed the year of the car in the title of the thread, for some reason i thought it was an 03. That makes me much more comfortable that the crank position sensor is tired. Yes this is an interference engine. Also put a PCV valve on your list. Make sure all the seals are getting done also along with the water pump, re-seal the oil pump, tensioners and idlers.

When was the last time this car had a tuneup?

nipper

I put plugs and wires on it in summer 2007 I think. You must realize that I only put 1800 miles on it since Nov 2007! It pretty much stays in the garage except to take my 83 yr. old mom to doctor appts. or to go for parts when my car is apart. It is my mother's but she has not driven it since 2004. If my brother takes her it is in this car also, as she likes going in HER car! I found her this car in April 2001 when it came off lease with 32 or 38K. It was driven every day for the next year to visit my dad at the nursing home (15 miles RT, sometimes twice daily) but when he died the use dropped way down. So the car is pretty much like it came from the showroom, original Potenzas also. I fixed torque bind problem in May with fluid changes. This crap today was a big surprise.

Water in the exhaust is completely normal as it's a bi-product of combustion in general and a bi-product of the reaction that takes place in the catalytic converter. The water is usually steam (vapor) in the exhaust until it gets close to the tail pipe where it can start to mix with cool air, and/or will condense on the cooler inner walls of the muffler and tail pipe. (cooler than the manifolds and catalytic converter)

I wouldn't worry about the water.

this was a lot of water, relative to what usually drips from an exhaust pipe.

Brian

Can you explain what you mean by a lot of water?

Do you mean clouds of vapor? color? smell?

for how long?

Or...do you mean dripping/pouring?out the tail pipe

Also, I sent you a private emessage