Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Starter Time???? What Are My Options?

Guest JER2911

Well, the g/f's starter is getting worse after my stupid mistake - anyway, a new starter is around $132 (from Schucks) and up to $203!!! :eek::eek::eek: 8o

Well, I think I just ground the crank wheel or whatever it is, anyway, what's the skinny on re-building the starter? How technical/difficult is it? I think it'll be alot cheaper!!! Also, where is the starter on a '94 Impreza I don't have a manual on her car so pics/advise would help!!!

Guest gbhrps

It is definitely cheaper to get a starter rebuilt than it is to purchase a new one, provided you can find and auto/electric shop that can do the work in your locality, and provided the armature of the starter isn't fritzed. Generally it is a drop off one day and pick it up the next day routine. Also, some auto suppliers (Autozone, Canadian Tire, etc.) will sell you a rebuilt starter, and give you a $25 to $50 refund if you give them your old one to rebuild. The starter gear fits into a large ring gear that surrounds the outside of the flywheel on the engine. On most engines the starter is located towards the back of the engine (since that's where the flywheel is), low down on either the right or left side. Its fairly easy to spot, because its just held in place with two or three bolts, is barrel shaped about the size and shape of a large can of beans, and has one or two heavy wire cables connected to it on one end. I'm not familiar with the engine in your model. Hope someone else can tell you more specifically where to look for it. Good Luck!

Guest intrigueing

I found a reman starter at a chain parts store for 85$. You could have it rebuilt at an auto electric place for 50-75-ish. As said you will be without the car for a day. You could also get one from a salvage yard for under 20. The removal/replacement is easy. I have not replaced the gear, so I do not know what is involved with that, or parts cost.

Guest JER2911

Well, if I get the starter rebuilt then whats the difference?

Either way it's getting fixed. :)

No offence to the name calling.

Guest JER2911

So...I think I'll go with the new starter unless anyone can help with the info on what it takes to re-build a starter i.e. - technical difficulty etc. etc.

Thanks!

Jordan

Guest tcspeer

If you can get by without the car for a day or two contact Jason Parker at Campbell/Nelson Auto Recycling, # 1-888-337- 7757 they are in Washington St. I live in Tx. and get Subaru Part's regulary from them. Call toll free get the part shipped express and you can have it in one or two days, They have been super good in my dealing with them.