Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Carb for a Brat

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your in need of a carb then yes i would def recommend the weber. They are a bit of a pain to get tuned just right but when they are right they are RIGHT! I have one on my car and love it. Pump the gas once or twice and it fires right up. Idle is smoother than the hitachi and if you tune the transitions right it performs a bit better too. But just a warning...some people on here will tell you that a weber is a good performance upgrade. If your interested in it for that go elsewhere. It does help a bit but i didnt notice too much of a difference between it and the hitachi it replaced.

Wow beautiful brat!!!:slobber: When the carb comes unscrew the front idle jet (the big brass screw on the front of the carb right by the choke housing). Mine came loaded with a 55 idle jet but it would hesitate on the transition from idle to throttle. I upped it to a 60 and it idles smoother and has no hessitation whatsoever. If you have a 55 you can try running it with that and see how i goes but this was the solution for me.

I installed a Redline Weber about 8-10 years ago on my 87 brat. Works very good. Took me the better part of half a day. A couple of tweaks over the next couple of weeks to fine tune. Replaced no jets, dropped it in like it came. Really cleans up the engine bay not having 18 hoses running everywhere. Still average 29-30 mpg out in the sticks running country roads. Very nice Brat you have and I wish you well on your installation.

do a search for tunning a weber. It is not all that hard. I have two. One on a brat and one on a wagon.

"I just purchased a 32/36 DGEV kit from Redline for $322 shipped"

Och!

New is nice but I got my last one from Jerry DeMoss with the anti-Dieseling and adapter and air cleaner for 250ish. He gets a price brake so if you need any thing pm him. Might be able to save you some money.:)

Also the Mech linkage on the weber makes the car feel faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a better picture of the way the linkage should be setup. That picture archive in those old links are terrible and that linkage setup looks pretty poorly done. Notice that I used the stock throttle cable mount - just moved it to the carb base and bent it with a crescent wrench to suit the needs of the Weber.

Note that this is a DGV-5A weber (manual choke). But the linkage you are asking about is the same as the DGEV/DGAV. Frankly I prefer the manual choke.

weber_linkage.jpg

GD

When installing the Weber is the throttle cable moved to the opposite side? The throttle cable is currently on the left side.

img1287o.jpg

img1288.jpg

In your picture the throttle linkage is on the right side, with the carb orientated as I have pictured it below, I presume that I will reuse the throttle linkage hardware from the old carb?

img1291f.jpg

Edited by Universeman

Yeah, you need to move the bracket for the cable over to the other side.

You may need to put a couple washers on the throttleshaft of the Weber, before you install the cable pivot. The barrel end of the throttle cable can catch on the choke linkage, thinking I have 3 washers on mine to get it to clear.

edit;

You use the cable pivot from the Hitachi on the Weber.

Use the fuel inlet fitting from the Hitachi on there as well. You may need to get some new fuel lines to do so.

Some of us that's swapped Webers on have had to install a Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) in the supply line to the Weber. About $20.00 from your local parts store. Not always needed though....

Edited by TomRhere
added info

Thanks GD, thats good information, and bad news at the same time, is the carter-weber set up I have uncommon?

Anyone know where I might get the correct manifold? From a junkyard I would imagine, unless someone here has one laying around that are willing to part with cheap? Also I'm going to venture a guess that I will be needing the throttle cable bracket and the cable pivot from the Hitachi manifold/carb as well?

Yes - the carb setup you have is uncommon. They were problematic and were often switched out for the Hitachi. It doesn't seem like they made nearly as many carter-weber's as they did Hitachi's. The weird thing is that they made them both side-by-side for several years ('82 to '84 IIRC). My '83 for example, is an original Hitachi car.....

Here is what I propose you do - since you are swapping manifolds anyway, you might as well get the benefit of the EA82 carb manifold. It's a direct bolt-on. The only difference is that you have to swap to the EA82 upper radiator hose. Other than that it mounts exactly the same. Doing this will give you a better flowing manifold. Unfortunately the adaptor plate from your kit will not fit - you will have to get the manifold adaptor for the EA82 manifold.....~$35

If you can't find an EA82 to rob the manifold from at your local junk yard there are plenty of them out here on the West coast and one of the board members out here will surely have one laying around or can grab one for you.

Remember to clean the gasket surfaces very well and only use manifold gaskets from the dealer - torque is 12 Ft/lbs.

The carb cable mounting bracket will be attached to the manifold if you get one. And yes it would be helpful to use the throttle cable adaptor from the Hitachi - they bolt right on to the Weber. There are other ways to do it though using the Weber parts.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Here is what I propose you do - since you are swapping manifolds anyway, you might as well get the benefit of the EA82 carb manifold. It's a direct bolt-on. The only difference is that you have to swap to the EA82 upper radiator hose. Other than that it mounts exactly the same. Doing this will give you a better flowing manifold. Unfortunately the adaptor plate from your kit will not fit - you will have to get the manifold adaptor for the EA82 manifold.....~$35

GD

Not sure if he said so or not but...Do you have Power steering? If so the EA82 will interfere with it. That is the only reason i stuck with the EA81 style Hitachi manifold when i went weber. I like my PS. Call me lazy lol.

Unless it was added by him or by a previous owner, no Brat's ever came with power steering except for the 83/84 Turbo's - those had it stock.

You could still use the EA82 manifold with power steering - just switch to the EA82 power steering setup.

GD

Oh thats right. I was thinking AC for some reason when i was trying to think of if the brats had PS or not.:o Brats could get AC but not PS. Ok back on track. EA82 manifold it up!

Nope no power steering to worry about, but first I need to figure out where I am going to get either manifold. I am going to call redline and see if the will maybe swap adaptor plates for me if I do find an E82 for this project, save me a little there at least. Of course if I can get more power I'm not going to complain, I'll have to start checking around at junk yards, you guys wouldn’t happen to have any advice as to model and year per chance? ;)

EA81 hitachi manifolds:

'81 GL Brat

'82-'87 Brats

'82-'89 hatchbacks

'81-'84 sedans/coupes/wagons

EA82 hitachi manifolds (non-turbo 4WD's, and low-end 2WD's - any body style)

'85-'87 sedan/wagon

'86-'87 3 door coupe

(some '87's were SPFI, but most 4WD's were carbed. CA models are usually fuel injected)

Fixed!

GD