Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza No Fuel Problem / Intermittent none-starting issues

Hi all,

I've had my impreza for almost two years now. it's 1993 1.8L MT with 180k miles on it. Ever since I had it, it had starting issues. Every once in a while, it wouldn't start, especially while in rear gear. Sometimes it would make clicking noise from under the dashboard, and not start, sometimes i would turn the key to "on" and all of the electronics would shut off. but it would always start after waiting for a little bit.

Couple of days ago, I was in a parking lot, turned the key, it started and then died immediately like it was out of gas. There was no gas at the fuel filter. I checked the voltage at the fuel pump, there's 5 volts (at fuel gauge, i assume, since it still works) on one of the power wires, and a split second 12v reading on the other. I assume it should be there for longer than a split second. Tested the fuel relay, it works (let me tell you, finding that thing is not a picnic!).

Also, yesterday after I tested the relay and put it back in, the car would not try to start at all. turning the ignition to "on" would shut off all electronics (radio, gauge cluster, etc). then about half an hour later it was back to cranking with no problem ( and no fuel at the filter).

I will test voltage at fuel relay tonight, but after that I'm at loss. What do I do next? Could it be ignition relay causing all this trouble?

any suggestions are highly appreciated. I really need to get her back on the road, it's my daily (and the only) driver:)

Battery cables. Your ground cable connection is corroded or loose.

Dealt with a similar issue for a friend last night after he spent an hour trying to drive 10 miles. He couldn't figure why the car kept dying every half mile or so or whenever he hit a big bump in the road. Ground cable was barely attached to the engine, and the body to battery connection was ready to break off.

Battery cables. Your ground cable connection is corroded or loose.

Clean all the battery terminals at both ends.

nipper

I replaced the battery couple of days prior (sorry if I forgot to mention it), and cleaned the battery posts/cable connections when I did that. your guys posts got me to take a close look at the battery terminals and the ground. I disconnected the ground, all of battery cables, took apart the end of positive cable. the cables coming into the positive looked like they might've had a little bit of corrosion to them. I sanded and washed everything down, both the positive, negative and ground. reconnected, turned the key and the car started like nothing had happened. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that's what it was.

Thanks everybody for your input!

Explain rear gear please.

I meant reverse, sorry.