Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CB Mounting in 94 Loyale?

Well since this car is alot smaller than my Bronco, it still wont hold me back to have a CB in it.

Just purchased a new Uniden PC68LTW, a medium sized CB.

I was curious to find out if any of you guys had one in your cars and could help me figure out where to mount this. I would probably run the power to the fuse box (is this safe for the radio?)

Where could the CB go thats not to hard to reach and in a protected area.

I have the 94 loyale wagon, is there any antenna mounts that would be good to get, im probably going to get the Firestik antenna with the tuneable tip. So would I be able to buy a mount that clips onto the trunk hatch area, or bumper, ect..?

Pics would be helpful also

Appriciate any help

Always run your power supply wires directly from the battery and put inline fuses on both wires.........in case the diodes crash on your alternator, the radio won't become a casualty. Also, less "whine" from all the electronics in your car when you connect directly to the battery. If it does "whine" after the install let us know.

We can tell you how to suppress it...........:)

They are on my website... I run a big 8.5 foot steel whip antenna (WCSS3 Rally X Antenna award winner :D ) and I have the radio mounted to the side of the console where the shifter is, in the passenger footwell area. The wires come under the carpet and through a hole in the firewall above the cat, then up the firewall and over to the antenna mount and over direct to the battery.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/1490/subaru/cb/

Since its geocities it may have a problem linking... if it does try pasting the link to a new window.

OK, so you have done this before....................didn't mean to imply you were a neophyte to radio electronics.........

I did not see and you didn't say on your page; did you fuse both power wires? This is important!

Also, tear out your interior?.......Geez.......I was able to install my radio in my '87 without drilling through the firewall or removing the carpet.................mounted my radio under the passenger seat, mic clipped to the side of the console; along with an external speaker. Control head is mounted to the dash, directly above the A/C vents. Power wires were snaked under the carpet and up behind the A/C box......from there, you can go through the big rubber grommet near the Vacuum reservoir. The wires go vertical here, then across and under the lip above the spare and over to the battery. Two hour install, very easy......I went with a mag mount, since I have 50w out, gain is not a necessity.

well I ran 18 feet of wire, so I ran a nice little loop around the interior so it wouldnt all be in a pile somewhere

I actually didnt have to drill the firewall, I just poked through an existing gromit (but I dont have AC, the AC uses that hole for a drip tube I think)

I only fused ONE wire, the CB came that way. I belive its the positive one.

So your saying I have to run the power directly to the Battery? How do I connect it, with what kind of connectors do I use? Any pics on that. Also, Im probably going to get a Wilson mag mount for the antenna. Any ideas on how to run the antenna wire so its not crimped in doors or a total mess?

Well, a magmount is a compromise............hard mounting is preferred..............if you have a trailer hitch, they make mounts for those that "swing-away" for towing use and istall in minutes...........Otherwise, a hole in the roof would be the best; electrically speaking that is. I don't know about the roof structure or where any of the cross-bars are located in the roof.........sure would be tough to mount throgh one of those..........maybe you have to drop the headliner and see.........

A trunk "lip mount" might work on the tail-gate hatch.......most of them will angle in most directions.

I use a mag-mount, but am planning on going to the "hole-in-the-roof" NMO Motorola style mount..............It's not high on my priority list right now.............

Let us know what you decide to go with and maybe a link to a pic so we can see how it looks...........:D