Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel tank willl not take fuel

I have a 1998 impreza that i just purchased. It had sat for a year and a half. When i try to put fuel in it the pump keeps shutting off.

It shut off every 20 to 30 cents. I have traced the breather to the charcoal can. From there it goes over the frame that hold the rear end.i would appreciate any idea.

Ron

I have a 1998 impreza that i just purchased. It had sat for a year and a half. When i try to put fuel in it the pump keeps shutting off.

It shut off every 20 to 30 cents. I have traced the breather to the charcoal can. From there it goes over the frame that hold the rear end.i would appreciate any idea.

Ron

i just finished re-reading this entire thread.

if you just bought the car and it has been sitting for a year, the fuel guage is probably not working and shows empty when it is not empty.

how do you know it is not full??

how much did you put in?

how many miles have you driven it while it's empty?

buy a bottle of techron fuel additive w/ injector and fuel sender cleaner and add it to the tank and drive the car until it quits or the fuel light comes on, if it has one. carry a spare 2 gal gas can with you. a new one that has never had gas in it will stink up your car less. reset your trip odometer and see hao far you go before you run out of gas.

this is just a guess, but the fuel senders in these cars a notorious for reading empty when they are not. and sitting for a year doesn't help.

Edited by johnceggleston

The charcoal canister isn't made to take fumes of the quantity that you get filling up, that won't be the problem.

It could be that the breater that comes up from the tank to just below the filler is crimped causing fuel to back up in the filler tube.

It could be fuller than you think as has been suggested.

It could be that the filler is a smaller diameter than you are familiar with and you need to put the pump nozzle in there straight up and down. Some cars, if you run the hose around the back of the car and poke the nozzle in at an angle to the vertical they will cut off. Try parking next to the pump so the nozzle reaches easily and then put the nozzle in with the handle straight up and down and see if it's better.

When i bought the car it had over 3/4 of a tank. I put some seafoam

in it and drove it down to under a 1/4. This was over a week or so.

The day before i tried to fill it the check engine light came on. It was p1443 which i think was evap vent solenoid. I clear the code and it has not come back. But i rarely drive it. Until i figure it out.

Thanks

ron

[...] The day before i tried to fill it the check engine light came on. It was p1443 which i think was evap vent solenoid. [...]

The P1443 code definition is ''Evaporative emission control system vent control function problem''. As nipper already suggested, ''The tank vent solenoid to the charcaol canister is dead or stuck.'' (or it's a problem directly related to that).

where is the vent soleniod? all the lines leave the charcole canister and go over the frame for the rear end. I tried lowing it a few inches but that wasn't enough to see or feel where they go. Do I have to pull the tank? what does it look like?

thanks

ron

Let me clarify something. Some of the EVAP system codes point to specific electrical faults in solenoid circuits (opens/shorts, etc.). However, P1443 just indicates that the ECU couldn't detect proper venting. A stuck solenoid can cause that, and so can a vent/drain tube obstruction. Since that tube is open to air, small ''critters'' can build webs, nests, etc. in it and block it off. I'd suggest looking into that first.

The link I gave previously explains how to narrow the possibilities. There's a diagram in http://www.endwrench.com/pdf/fuel/FtEvapEmissionTestW00.pdf that shows interconnection of EVAP components, although there are model-to-model variations. Subaru has some sophisticated equipment to test EVAP, as in http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/EvapSpring04.pdf, but the systems can certainly be fixed with a lot less.