Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ford F-series fuel pump

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jrettenmayer

jrettenmayer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:41 PM

Does anyone know anything about using the Ford F-series fuel pumps on the EA cars when doing a EJ22 swap? Any specific pump I'm looking for?

#2 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

Ford F-series = pickup fuel pumps. They are mounted in the tank, so good luck with that.

Use a turbo EA82 fuel pump instead

#3 jrettenmayer

jrettenmayer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:57 PM

I know what F-series means...

I'd imagine that some of the older F-series had pumps NOT mounted in the tank - I read on this forum someplace about using just such a pump. Apparently they are cheaper than replacement pumps for a Subaru, so I thought I'd look into it.

Thanks for the opinion. :-\

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:29 PM

Correct - older F-Series and Bronco's used frame rail mounted pumps. I don't know the exact years but there are thread's here that detail exactly which one's you are looking for.

One of the part numbers mentioned in the old posts is a NAPA #2p74028 which is a frame rail mounted high pressure F-Series pump. Back in the early years they used an in-tank pump to pull the fuel to the high pressure pump mounted on the frame rail - this is one of those. IIRC from old posts it's something like 90 psi capable - which is far more than any Subaru engine needs.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder, 06 October 2009 - 09:37 PM.

#5 jrettenmayer

jrettenmayer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:46 PM

Thanks GD...

any reason why this one wouldn't work?

http://www.napaonlin...ic In-Line Type

#6 bobjr94

bobjr94

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Roy

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

Ive worked on those 86-90ish fords with the 2 fuel pump setup, one had a bad fuel pressure regulator and was running about 90lbs of pressure.

#7 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:27 PM

Thanks GD...

any reason why this one wouldn't work?

Yes - that's a low pressure pump. It lists 5 to 9 psi. The EJ engines need about 35 psi. You must use a high-pressure fuel injection pump, not a transfer pump or a carbed pump.

GD

#8 jrettenmayer

jrettenmayer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:22 AM

Ok, that makes sense. I thought I remembered hearing from someone on here EJs need around 10 PSI, but I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

The hose barbs on the NAPA #74028 pump mate are the correct size, I take it?

#9 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

The hose barbs on the NAPA #74028 pump mate are the correct size, I take it?

No idea. Probably not. Nothing that can't be corrected with some brass hose barbs.

GD

#10 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

I run 2 of them, one on my 92 EJ22 swapped loyale and one on my 86 turbowagon. The pumps are a fair bit louder, but for $90-100 bucks it's not bad. My loyale had no carpets so it was louder anyway. You need to adapt from the 1/2" or so coming from the fuel tank to the 1/4 or 3/16 that feeds the pump. You will also need to splice spade connectors onto the pump wiring harness to fit the ford pump. I have had a small tree pull one of the wires off before but my pump is not well protected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users