Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ridiged or Isolated motor mounts/trans mounts.

bigo1966

So im in the process of hooking up the ST engine to the EA-82 transmission. Im trying to figure out if I should ridigly mount the trans and engine or have them on rubber motor mounts.. i.e. rebuild the trans mount so they are solid and the new motor mounts so they are solid. Or use some existing motor mounts that I have in the garage to isolate the engine from frame/car and ridigly fix the ST engine to the trans. Keep in mind that its baslically a divorced setup but my adaper shaft does not have any u-joints. Splines from ST output shaft basically welded to the splined shaft in the center of the subaru clutch.

I hope you can follow that and i really need some input.

Orion

why not solid mount the tranny, and rubber mount the motor?

i know it sounds odd, but the little vibration from the motor would be taken up from front rubber mounts, and the tranny-engine union would benefit from the solid trans mounts.......

make sense?cheers, brain

why not solid mount the tranny, and rubber mount the motor?

i know it sounds odd, but the little vibration from the motor would be taken up from front rubber mounts, and the tranny-engine union would benefit from the solid trans mounts.......

make sense?cheers, brain

Every time I have tried to solid mount 1 and soft mount the other it has ended in disaster:-\ I don't recommend it at all. I have seen it bust trans cases, crack bell housings, twist drive shafts, snap motor mounts, ect.

well, at that point it would be the torque from the engine ...so just switch them around.

it is a motorcycle engine,mated to a subie trans.all of the torque will be with the motor.

yep, i say solid mount the engine, soft mount the trans.

who knows.might work.cheers, brian

Every time I have tried to solid mount 1 and soft mount the other it has ended in disaster:-\ I don't recommend it at all. I have seen it bust trans cases, crack bell housings, twist drive shafts, snap motor mounts, ect.

I would rigid-mount the motorcycle motor to the Subie trans, then use solid trans mounts and rubber motor mounts. On the EA82 trans crossmembers there are already a pair of rubber bushings where the x member bolts to the body, IN ADDITION to the rubber trans mounts. The other way to go would be mount the crossmember rigid, then use rubber mounts on the tranny and motor. Either way, you have to build some kind of structure to tie the motor and trans together rigidly, otherwise you will blow up that adapter shaft or a trans bearing or a main bearing on the motor, unless you make a new shaft that has some kind of joint in it. I see things just like this every day where I work, and I know exactly what can happen if its not done right....

-Bill

Here is the plan. Ridgedly(is that a woard??) mount transmission to engine and have engine sit on another set of stock engine mounts. From what ive gathered the trans to frame and engine to frame have to be the same material, engine to trans ridged.

Thanks everyone.