Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where can i park ANOTHER subaru???

I went to my old employer, United Rentals, to pick up an engine hoist today. Ended up getting a free rental for the weekend (SCORE!). While im in there, one of the yard boys asks me "So, you like Subaru's?"

DUH!!!

Anyhow, he sais he has a '84 GL Wagon that he needs to get rid of. Sais its running on only 3 cyls, and that its an auto (YUCK!). I ask if its 4WD, and he sais yes... then add's that its MPFI. So i question the year, and then he adds that its turbo'd.

So... he sais he's looking to get $350 for the car. He told me it has a sticky valve, but runs good and said he'd guarantee it'd pass if i could get it running on all 4 again.

Someone here has to tell me not to get this, or else i'm going to have to start parking on my lawn again.

-Brian

Lawn??!! I've got a semi grassy patch of land in my front yard, which is currently occupied by my Brat, is that what that is?? Dude, don't let an EA81T get hauled off to the wrecking, get it!! If anything, you get your heads and stuff for your conversion, and if the block is any good. I sure would be mighty interested in it. (as this is what I need to get mine on the road again).

Hahaha.... Dont know why I even asked to have someone stop me, i knew it wouldnt happen.

I'll go check it out tomorrow. I gotta take this engine hoist back, and the dude works there. So i'll call him up and take it for a drive.

With a sticky valve, should I still do a compression check??? or will the valve mess with the numbers.

-Brian

You guys are real friends :) Everybody else here i tell say the same thing.

I could really use it for parts. Im thinking of picking it up and stripping it. My 84 Wagon needs new seats and interior pieces, grill & hood. Also, the MPFI heads and intake will work perfectly for the CIS experiment.

Also, if its an original california car, its more than likely rust free and straight, so there might be some Turbo parts comming avail soon.

-Brian

so let me get this straight. you want to take a pefectly good EFI system that CAN pass smog and is reliable off. And then you want to put on a CIS system that definately will not pass smog on?

hmmm...

I have worked on a lot of VW's and volvo's they are great when they run well but when there are problems with that system it is a bit more complicated to trouble shoot than EFI.

Im going against the flow here if you want to butcher this car. leave it for some one who will fix it up right. those are totaly a rare thing here in CA. unless its a total beater already.

and yes if it is a sticky valve it will change your compression test readings.

Well, anyone who wants it is more than welcome to come to sacramento to get it. But if i end up with it, i cant park it... or fix it. My '84 Wagon needs parts, and i need a MPFI engine for the CIS experiment. So this is a likely candidate.

Its gonna kill me to strip it, but i really have no choice. If I do look at it, and its too mint... i would consider repairing it and driving it... but my '84 is screaming for EFI.

-Brian

it's not screaming for EFI it's screaming for a weber!! just kidding. i don't know what the differance between the cis and fuel injection. must be more powerful. but just remember to ventalate any computers that you seal for water and mud. i've wanted to convert her to fuel ejection. but am happy with the weber. all i need is one more piece of electronics to go bad!!

Yeah, im affraid of the electronic's, but thats the beauty of CIS. its all self contained, and there are no computers to control Pulse. Its a constant flow of fuel thats just regulated by the incomming air.

Weber would be nice... but a new weber would cost $300... not to mention, ive already paid for one and am awaitiing its arival via Cameron, which could take years at this pace.

I'm almost positive i can get this EA81T complete for less than $300.

-Brian

Now I know why you couldn't come out and play at P-n-P.............;)

Seriously, you didn't miss anything. NO Brats in the truck section and they pulled out an entire row of '85-'88 wagons and sedans............and they put Hyundai's in there place! We don't get any respect, do we...............

CIS huh?....................I have owned and driven several Audi, VW and Volvo's with that system...........it has advantages as well as some quirks................I would say those cars have more torque because they are inline engines; not so much that they have CIS.................................

Buy the car; for $300, you can't lose.........unless it's a total rust bucket or completely beat to heck.

Just my .02

Even if it is a rust bucket or rusty, its still a good deal.

im going for the CIS more for its basic operation. No sensors or complicated computers. Also, since its never been done before, we dont know how it'll work. There is a guy here who did the CIS conversion on a EA82, but i'd like to see what it'll do on the EA81.

-Brian

Man, only on this board would you get flak for wanting to buy this vehicle and experiment with it! I say, go for it! We aren't talking about a 100 point concours Yenko Camaro, or even a 100 point Subaru for that matter. I want to hear how it turns out!