Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so i have a ej18 sitting on a engine stand and want to take it apart and machine everything. (i am in a machinist program at a tech school)

i want to clean all the parts very well before i bring it in.....

soooo....

if i got a big tub and mixed some degreaser in with water and let it sit for a while to use that degreasing action would this harm the engine in any way. ie rust and stuff if not properly dried afterward.

should i do this before teardown/after teardown, or both?

this is a dumb question i know but i feel there is never a dumb question as long as the dumb question stops the dumb mistake.

Buy a bucket of parts dip http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?categoryDisplayName=Chemicals&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=139313_0_0_&productId=139313&sortType=&parentId=17-10&filterByKeyWord=parts+cleaner&categoryNValue=100017&navValue=100903&fromWhere=&itemId=903-10&displayName=Carburetor+Cleaner&store=970&skuDisplayName=1+gal.+B-9+carburetor+and+parts+cleaner+with+basket&brandName=Berryman (or 3), and let them soak in that. Just pour it into an empty 5 gallon bucket or something. You'll have to scrub them with a brush of some sort to get the really heavy grit off. Unless you happen to have an ultrasonic cleaner (lucky you if you do). Then spray the parts down with brake cleaner before doing the machine work.

Clean them in a WELL ventilated area.